Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Inspiring Young Minds

Good morning.
Barb had her C.T. scan yesterday. It went well but we won’t know the results for 24 to 48 hours, hopefully. I appreciate all of you that are lifting Barb up in prayer.

We won our game last night with Astronaut H.S., 10 – 0. Steven didn’t see any action tonight. The coach told him that he hadn’t forgot about him but it was going to be tough to crack the lineup now that our “basketball players” had returned to the team. Steven is “swinging down” to play with the J.V. tonight at (get this Steve) Satellite (I’m not making these names up) H.S.. The coach did tell him that he wanted him to get his swings in for the week. He did bench one of the freshman starters who hasn’t hit well in the past few games and the other freshman starter went “0 for” last night as well. I told Steven to be patient and keep working hard, his chance will come.

Now to a funny school story:
We have what appears to be a building on top of our roof here at Kennedy Middle. I think it housed some scientific equipment at one time. One of the teachers told her kids that there is a pool on our roof in that building and if someone could find the lost key, they could have pool privileges.

One of my students, Joe, asked me about his pool and the missing key. I told him that not only was the key missing but it is one of those rare “left-handed keys!” He asked for the specs on this left-handed key and I gave him the following:

1. A key obviously made for your left hand.
2. Will only unlock “pool lock” if held in left hand.

Being the gullible 7th grader that he is, he bought the story until today. He came up to me in class and said, “Mr. Walker, there is no such thing as a left-handed key.” I asked him how he could be so sure of himself and he said, “I Google it last night.”

There you have it left-handed key fans; I motivated one of my students to Google an inquiry about a left-handed key! I wonder what else I can motivate them to do?

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Bring them on.

Comments:
At the middle school where I used to teach (Skylab High...no wait, Extra Vehicular Activity High), we used to do this to the kids every April 1. We would all send them out at the same time in search of left-handed hammers or "skyhooks." It was great fun watching them go from room to room on a planned course of frustration.

We teachers make our own fun.
 
Randy: laden or unladen?
 
Try something to do with train A and train B traveling opposite directions, or something like that. I've still haven't figured it out.

Or how to trisect a segment with a compass.
 
Greg - thanks.
As for Steven, it's a little of both.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?