Thursday, March 23, 2006

Disclaimer

(Props to the Rev. for the template change. Do you guys still love me?)

Have you ever noticed that we live in a world of disclaimers? Almost without exception every commercial for a Car Dealership flashes in 1.2 nanoseconds, a disclaimer at the bottom of the T.V. screen as it advertises it’s “can’t miss deals.”

Disclaimers for prescription medicine are most interesting. “Taking “LaCecil” (made that up myself) can cause high blood pressure, night sweats, dry throat, diarrhea, an inordinate amount of body hair, and barking at full moons during the night.”

I had to give my son a disclaimer last night. He went 3 for 3 and also bunted in our winning run last (yea!) night. At his first at-bat, he hit a rocket down the third base line that the third baseman tried to backhand. He missed the ball completely when it bounced over his glove. I announced it as an error, “An Steven Walker reaches first on the error. That will put runners at first and second for the Tigers with no outs.”

After the game, Steven walked up with the lady who was keeping the “official book.” Steven said to me, “Dad, I went 3 for 3 tonight, just ask “Ms. Amy.” I look at Amy and she said, “That was a hard hit ball so I scored it a “hit.”” My disclaimer to Steven, “Good thing I’m just a silly announcer and not the “Official Scorer,” huh?” And then there was this past Sunday.

As I walked into the auditorium just before our service started, I noticed a whole row of visitors. I walked up and introduced myself. They told me they were from “X” (name has been changed to protect the municipality) in Alabama. Now, no offense Greg but as soon as I heard the “A” word, I was a bit worried. I figured the chances were these folks were more likely than not, from a coc that doesn’t like, endorse, or tolerate folks and churches that clap and lift hands during worship.

Dilemma #1:
Do I inform them that folks at out church have permission (as if they need it) to express themselves either in the extrovert or introvert mode? In other words, yes June, some folks here at Central will clap during singing.

My Decision:
Typical elder – decision by indecision. I chose not to bring up the subject and kind of let the clapping, I mean the chips fall where they may.

Result:
First song out of the box – lots of clapping. Row full of visitors – exit stage right. They left.

My Question:
What do you think about a disclaimer for visitors in the front of the bulletin? And really, “disclaimer” isn’t the word I would use but I’m bound by the rules of the current post to make the word “disclaimer” have meaning. I was thinking along the lines of a welcome statement to visitors that would read something like:

“We’d like to welcome you to our services today. You are our honored guests. During our worship today you will see a variety of reactions to the movement of the Holy Spirit as we worship God together. Collectively, our service is an acapella (without instruments) service. It is a tradition that we love and honor. Some folks will be inspired to clap and lift their hands during worship while others will be inspired to be more reflective and less demonstrative. We feel that both reactions to the moving of the Holy Spirit to be appropriate. We invite you to join us as we worship God in Spirit and truth.”

Like to hear from you bloggers. Let me know what you think as if I need to ask you.

P.S.
Meeting went well last night. More work to be done but it was a good first step. Thanks for the prayers.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Randy -
Template, template. It sounds like you're losing your template. Actually, I guess I need to lose my template.

Greg - Mixing clapping with snake (Is there something wrong with that?) handling for some could be a piece of "snake." Maybe we can try that in the dorm room at P-dine.
 
First, glad the meeting went well (I'm still just the curious kind about what might have been so church shaking - unless there really is something going on with this snake handling thing!)
Second, I get rattled when someone leaves in the middle of service to go to the restroom (was it something I said?) But everybody is right. It's their problem. No disclaimer would be adequate.
Third, my son doesn't own a shirt that's not black (he's either really into Johnny Cash or AC/DC...), so I didn't even notice the prince of darkness motif on your template. But now that you mention it.......
 
Disclaimer:
A change in this blog's template will be appearing soon. Some of the side effects may be extreme joy, an increase in one's vision, a sudden dislike of carrots, and a new appreciation for Cecil.

John or anyone else - Send me an email at walkerc2@brevard.k12.fl.us
and I'll give you the scoop.
 
I agree. I think you're first reaction was the best one. Welcome them to your body of believers, get out there and worship. If people are offended, they can leave.
 
I know now that I beter not mess with my template.

As for the disclaimer. NO WAY! Shock effect is much more fun to watch. And who knows--they might have been so excited about it that they left to run back home and introduce it to their congregation. Sounds kind of jngysc to me.
 
Love the new look, but now you'll have to change the drapes and buy a new sofa.
One more word on disclaimers. My favorite is on the bag of catfish blood bait (and it truly smells as bad as it sounds). Printed in bold letters on the front are: "Not for human consumption." Which makes you wonder, has someone....?
 
First, what's a template?

Second, I liked the disclaimer, though I'd just put it on the card and distribute it to those who come to worship in a tie.

Third, we use wine in communion and we never tell anyone. It's fun to watch their faces during communion, though not very spiritual, I guess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?