Monday, March 27, 2006

Baseball Theology

I just got back home from a “Homerun Derby” that was part of the opening ceremonies of the Palm Bay Spring Classic Tournament. I drove Steven along with 2 of his buddies down to Palm Bay for the opening ceremonies, bbq, and the homerun derby. Each team entered 2 players each. Each player received “10 outs” to hit as many homeruns as possible with the top 2 players advancing to the final round. The top 2 players (one who has already singed with Alabama) hit 10 and 9 homeruns respectively to advance to the final round. The non-college signee ended up winning the finals 9 to 6. I was amazed by their combination of power, timing, and technique. I was even more amazed by each “pitcher.”

Each team supplied their own pitcher for their two players. Most were coaches but a few were other players. Techniques varied from coaches pitching “meat balls,” a few players throwing what amounted to curve balls because they kept most of their bodies behind the upright part of the pitching screen, and one coach who was hurling fastballs from about 40 feet. As you probably can guess it was the fastball coach who produced the worst results. I though player #2 was going to charge the screen, I mean the mound as he continued to foul off pitches and only managed to put a few balls in play, much less hit any out of the park.

Aren’t we (preachers and elders) a lot like those pitchers? We have varying degrees of approaches and speeds with which we use to feed, teach, admonish, and take our respective churches to the land beyond the outfield fence. I wonder if we realize when it’s time to serve up a theological meat-ball (basics)and when it’s time for the high heater? (new and challenging)
Who do we listen to; the guy who just whiffed on us during batting practice or the guy who is in a zone because of our pitches? Or do we stick to what we think is best for the team and the individual player, inspiring our “team / church” to rise to the occasion in an effort to better themselves?

Rick Acthley asked a question at the Pepperdine Lectures last year that still inspires and at times like the present, haunts me. He asked the elders in his class, “What is the one thing you pray for with respect to your churches as an elder?” As the word “p-e-a-c-e” formed in my brain he said, “Peace.” He followed that by saying in essence, the hope of having a “peace” is both unrealistic and paralyzing. There will always be someone unhappy with the “direction” of the church, the worship, the preacher, ect.

He encouraged us to be like those different pitchers at the homerun derby. Don’t worry about the hitter being unhappy with your pitches. They can’t hit a homerun if you never throw a pitch because you want the hitter to be at peace with you.

There you have it bloggers. My thoughts for the day as I head back to the tournament for tonight’s game.

Comments:
Loved the analogy. And I would probably have to admit I preach the meat balls for the lowest common denominator, instead of the high heaters. It's hard not to overestimate the spiritual immaturity of the people you're preaching to (yes, I did just say what you think I said). But then again, it's a Monday.
 
Have fun at the tournament. I have visions of Mark McGwire and Bobby Abreu dancing in my head.
 
Ah, baseball.

Most of the stuff I throw at my church… "Caught them looking for strike three.*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?