Monday, February 27, 2006

Third Grade Accountability

Good Monday to everyone.

I ask that you continue to remember my wife, Barbara. She has a C.T. scan tomorrow to determine the nature of a 1cm long nodule in her lung.

I also continue to ask for prayers for my son Steven who is taking the FCAT today and tomorrow. If he passes he’ll be done with the FCAT and eligible for a high school diploma. If he doesn’t, I’ve listed all of the ramifications in my previous post.

Speaking of my previous post, Greg tried to get me going with a comment he made about the FCAT. It didn’t work Greg. Well, it kind of did but I’m over it. Anyway, what got me going was a phone call into our local Contemporary Christian Music radio (Z88.3) this morning. The caller was the mother of a 3rd grade girl who was as she stated, “Stressed out over the FCAT!” I may be a softie but it seems to me that there is something inherently wrong about an educational system that stresses out 7 and 8 year olds. Third graders (along with 4th – 10 graders) know that if they make a low score on the FCAT they will have to attend Summer School.

As I’ve said in an earlier post, as a teacher I know how to prepare my students for the FCAT. I have nothing against accountability on my part or with respect to my students. Year in and year out my students tend to do well on the FCAT. But guys, holding a 7-year old accountable?

If we wanted accountability in our school system – we have it! If we wanted a society of stressed out kids – we have that as well.

On to baseball:
Huge win for our varsity team Friday night. We beat our cross river / district rivals 4 to 3 on their home field! Steven played a couple of innings at right field.

Saturday – Steven “swung down” to play both games of the J.V. doubleheader. He threw 5 innings of one hit ball in the first game and went 1 for 3. His hit was a double in his last time up. Steven was the batter when we tried to sacrifice a run in. The pitcher got lucky when he threw an outside pitch that Steven couldn’t put his bat on to put the ball in play. Consequently our runner was out at home. Steven then hit the next pitch into deep left field for a double. Go figure.

He went 3 for 4 in the second game with a double and 2 singles.

He plays with the Varsity tomorrow night against Astronaut High School.

Have a good day.

Comments:
Astronaut High? That's the coolest name I've ever heard of for a school. It's right up there with "Sky High," the high school for superheroes. But that was just a Disney movie. You've got the real deal there!

There is an astronaut on Survivor this season. I wonder if he went to school there.
 
You never know. Astronaut H.S. is somewhat across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center.

Most famous grad - Chris Collinworth. He of the Cincinnati Bengals / HBO Inside the NFL Show / NFL Announcer.
 
Thanks Judy.
 
Praying for Barbara this morning (Tuesday). Our staff at Ross Road will also be praying for her. Praying especially for some of that peace that passes all understanding for the both of you.

I went to Rocky Mountain H.S. (Ft. Collins, CO) the first year it was open. They let us vote for our school mascot, and the overwhelming winner was "Oysters" (if you have to ask, don't). We ended up being the Lobos, a distant second. I think I'm the most famous graduate.
 
John- Rocky Mountain Oysters? I'm sure that's an interesting story.

Speaking of the Rockies, I spent a couple of weeks the summers of my Jr. and Sr. years in college backcountry hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. Did you ever climb Longs Peak?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?