Friday, February 10, 2006

Home Sweet Hotel

This was the only picture I could find of my hotel, I mean my home. Have you ever had one of those weeks when your house felt more like a hotel than a home? That is how I would describe this past week so far. To put it in perspective:

Monday – House felt like home. Arrived “home” with Steven around 6:30pm following baseball practice.

Tuesday – Steven’s first game. I ended up announcing the game not knowing ahead of time that I was going to be doing so. It took me a couple of innings to catch my “scoreboard duties” up with my “announcing duties.” The high school A.D. noticed this lag when during the 2nd inning he yelled, “Who is running the scoreboard?” My response somewhat under my breath was, “I am you old grouch” to which my son who was sitting beside me, burst out laughing and pointed out that the old grouch was the school’s A.D.! Arrived at my hotel/home around 10pm.

Wednesday – I know I should be typing that we came home from church but this was Steven’s first varsity game. I ran the scoreboard while my good friend Tom announced the game. Arrival time at my hotel/home around 10pm again.

Thursday – Every parent’s favorite night, “Parent Conference Night.” It went from 6:30 to 8:30pm. Six of the seven conferences I had were frustrating. You don’t hold out a lot of hope as a teacher when parents say things like “He’s been doing this for years” or “We don’t know what to do with him, do you have any suggestions?” Since we’re not allowed to utter the words “justifiable (a little joke there guys) homicide,” what suggestions I do give usually do not have any positive effects. I arrived back at my hotel/home around 9pm.

Tonight – Final game of the Pre-season Tournament. We play Winter Park H.S., another big school from Orlando. They have a short-stop that had 40 or so major league scouts in attendance at their game on Tuesday that I announced. He is a big kid, smooth on the field with a cannon for an arm. He ended up going 1 for 4 but I can understand with 40 or so major league scouts watching you. Tonight’s arrival time at my hotel/home, you guessed it, probably around 10pm.

So there you have it, my week in review. Are you guys ready to have a pity party for me? Come on, show me some love or at the very least, some real “sappy” sympathy.

Have a good weekend my blone family.

Comments:
Are you still married?
 
I was this morning. Wife was with me on Wednesday so it was somewhat of a family affair.

Wasn't there a "MoTown song" by that ("Family Affair") name in the 70's?
 
Any ideas on how to get rid of these people that won't leave my driveway?
 
Ahhhh, parent conferences. As I have always worked in low-income areas, my response to these invitations has always been sparse. Sadly, many of my kids have parents that just don't care.

But I do have plenty that just don't know what to do, like the ones you referenced. My favorite example was the couple that couldn't figure out how to make their son do his homework. We suggested a schedule...that he wouldn't be allowed to play video games until his homework was done.

"He'd just play them anyway," they said. "He plays them all the time."

"Then perhaps," we offered, "it's time to take his video game away for a while."

"Oh, NO! We couldn't do THAT!"

At which point we all looked at each other, sighed, and thanked them for coming in.

(On another note, should I not have noticed that you didn't give the final score to any of those games this week?)
 
I mess my post up just a little. The game on Tuesday was between 2 schools (Palm Bay and Winter Park) in our tournament. Steven's first game was on Wednesday which we lost 4 to 2. We had a 2 to 1 lead in top of the 7th and lost it.

Steven went 0 for 2, a "K" and a ground out. He had one putout so it was a mostly unfruitful night for him.

The game tonight against Winter Park could be ugly.
 
You might have guessed that the part of the week that I picked up on was the kid from Orlando. Sounds like an awesome BB player.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?