Monday, February 06, 2006

Hands On

This seems to be a pattern with me lately but I would ask (once again) that you keep my son, Steven, in your prayers. He along with every other 10th, 8th, and 4th grader in the state of Florida will take what we fondly know as the “FCAT Writes Test.” The test consists of 2 multiple choice tests on grammar and spelling as well as a 45 minute “blind prompt / essay” test. The essay test is graded on a rubric of 1 to 6 (with 6 being the top score) by 2 different “trained” scorers at the state level. Steven must make a 4.0 or higher to pass this part of the FCAT.

Our weekend with Joe (“a known sinner) Beam was a success in my opinion. We had close to 100 couples on Friday night and most of the day on Saturday in attendance for his “Love, Sex, and Marriage Seminar.” I’ve heard Joe speak many a time at Pepperdine and he always does a good job. This past weekend with us “crazy (as Randy said in a previous comment) Cocoans” he was nothing short of outstanding. He had the right mix of information, humor, and wise counsel that made being in attendance a blessing. I can honestly say that Barb and I have already reaped some rewards from the Seminar!

Other high points of the Seminar to me were:
1. A couple who flew from Indiana to attend the seminar.
2. A young man from our church, in his early 20’s and recently divorced. When he was asked why he was attending the Seminar he said, “I don’t want to make the same mistakes in my second marriage that I made in my first if I get married again.”

I would highly recommend Joe’s Seminar to you if you would like something that is “hands on” so to speak that will bless the members of your church.

Happy Monday Blones.

Comments:
I'm keeping him in mind...even as the loudspeaker blares in my ears that all of our sophomores and seniors report for CAHSEE (exit exam) testing.

Oy, the hoops these kids jump through. Can you say "education reform?"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?