Friday, February 24, 2006

FCAT - Steven - Prayers

First, an update on my wife Barbara. Her C.T. Scan is schedule for this coming Tuesday afternoon. Please continue to keep Barb in your prayers. Our prayer is for the node on her lungs to be a glitch of a Doctor’s Office x-ray machine at the very worst.

Next – Steven. He faces the highest type of “high stakes” testing on Monday and Tuesday. He takes the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) to determine whether he qualifies for a high school diploma. A failing score has many different ramifications such as:

1. Summer School for remediation.
2. Facing 3 more attempts to pass the FCAT to qualify for a high school diploma.
3. A loss of one or two electives substituted by an extra math, and, or a reading class depending on what part of the test was failed.

If he passes the FCAT he’ll be done with it. Then he’ll just need a “certain” score on the ACT or SAT to qualify for certain state scholarships. No pressure.

Steven has done well the past 2 years on the FCAT. Please pray that he doesn’t freeze or go blank during the testing.

On the baseball front, last night’s game (which we won 10 to 0) was the first game he didn’t play in. He was bummed last night but in a better mood today. We play Merritt Island at their place tonight. He has a lot of friends on M.I. and would love to play in front of them.

Have a good weekend bloggers. Again, thanks for the prayers.

Comments:
Randy, Randy, Randy, you continue to disappoint me. Extra math is the reward for passing!

You are all already in my prayers, bro. I'll just tack the FCAT (almost said CST...that's mine) on as well.

Cecil, on another note, I'm concerned about some of the influences you have chosen for your life. If Greg or Randy ever ask you to do something that might seem, well, questionable...would you please pray about it first? Or, better yet, call me and we'll talk it over. It's possible that you and I may have to plan a bi-coastal intervention.
 
Thanks Randy and Steve.

Steve - Dealing with a couple of bi-polar guys most certainly calls for bi-coastal intervention.
 
Pressure is right. I am a little (a lot) put out with the pressure put on kids to achieve in school. I know that school and learning are important, but not to the detriment of the child. Do we really need kids to have this kind of pressure put on them?

I have three of my children that struggle to "keep up" in our school system. We have this motto in Alabama, "No Child Left Behind." What that translates into is "All children must keep up no matter what their learning style is.”

I think that we try and put all children in the same box when it comes to learning. Those of you who teach (and that is all of us who have children or who deal with kids in school or church) know or will know that all children do not learning the same way. We must come up with ideas as communicators that work for those we teach. That means being innovative, understanding, and always trying to find whatever it takes to give the instruction so that the person learning can learn.

All this pressure from school systems with their SAT, ACT, and FCAT and their whateverCT make me want to zxchker all over the place!!!

Go ahead ask me if I have an opinion on this!!

Tell Steven to hang in there and that no matter what, he is a child of the King! We will pray for Barbara and hope that there is nothing there brother.
 
Thanks Keith. As a teacher / parent I feel your pain. I’m almost ashamed of having put my child through a school system that lacks compassion.
 
Greg -

To quote a joke about a goat that you once told, "I don't think I would have told that one Brother."

Love you Bro.
 
Hi Pat from Laurel.

If you're a "Tiger," the game went well. We won 4 to 3 beating not only the best pitcher on M.I.'s staff but arguably one of the best pitchers on the Space Coast.

I know they won't take us lightly the next time we face each other.

Thanks for the prayers. I pray for my son and all of our 3rd - 10th graders who are taking the FCAT today.
 
We are still praying for your wife.
 
Thanks Brady
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?