Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Experience the Cross

I’m still reading Henry Blackaby’s book, “Experiencing the Cross.” I don’t think I’m a slow reader but it seems to take me a long time to get through a book.

At the end of chapter 7 and the beginning of chapter 8, Blackaby postulates some interesting questions. On page 62 he writes, “So the question I keep trying to get believers to ask themselves is: Where is the evidence that my life has been transformed?”

At the beginning of chapter 8 he quotes Romans 6:3 – “Do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?” Then he writes, “The Cross is more than a doctrine; it’s an experience.”

A little later after quoting Gal. 2:20 (“I have been crucified with Christ.”) he states, “The Cross isn’t a doctrine to be discussed, but a fact to be experienced.”

Now for my question – How do we get folks to “experience” the Cross? How do we get them to start the process of transforming their lives? Is it through engaging and relevant worship services? Is it in service to community? Is it “yes” to both of the above, neither one, or more?

I know in my heart of hearts it’s necessary but where do we start?

Comments:
Greg – That’s why I’m asking the question or perhaps the wrong question as you state. Here are some more words from Blackaby on this subject:

“The Cross isn’t a doctrine to be discussed, but a fact to be experienced. Think about what Paul actually expressed here: I have been crucified with Christ. He didn’t state that someone had been crucified in his place; Paul said he had been crucified with Christ.

This is where all human language fails, and I don’t begin to fully understand what God did with Paul. But I believe that somehow, in some inexplicable way, God let Paul understand the depths of what our sin had done to the Savior. I sense that somehow Paul’s mind and heart and soul were expanded and he was with his Lord at Calvary.”

Granted, "transformation" is something "done to us, not by us." But we are not robots without free will and thought processes. There must be a surrendering of one’s will to allow this process to take place, wouldn’t you agree?

So perhaps the better question would have been, “How do I get myself to surrender my will and allow myself to be transformed into the image of Christ?

What do you think bloggers? Better question than before?
 
I do think that's a better question, Cecil. I think we, as a church, have spent too long trying to transform others without devoting nearly enough attention to being transformed ourselves. And ultimately, as Greg said, we don't even perform the transformation there. It is the act of God through His Spirit.

Yet I don't think we give ourselves enough credit here either. Transformation is an ongoing project, one that reaches fruition only when we see him face-to-face. As long as we are looking in this mirror, darkly, we are in the process of being transformed.

All we need to do to see that process brought to light is to look back at where we started.
 
Thanks Steve.
 
Two "old" verses come to mind: And now I commend you to God and to the message of his grace, a message that is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all who are sanctified (Acts 20.32).

After listing Christian virtues: For if these things are yours and are increasing among you, they keep you from being ineffective and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 1.8).

So message of God (cross and resurrection) with Christ-like qualities bring about growth, transformation, if you like.

At least, that's what it says.
 
Cecil, great post. Instead of commenting here, I responded in a blog of my own and referenced you. Thanks for starting the discussion.
 
Thanks John.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?