Friday, January 27, 2006

Tears of Fellowship

When Steven and I arrived home last night, my lovely wife (once described by myself as the ultimate “Fellowship Machine”) had dinner waiting on us. How’s this for an eclectic selection, we had “Chili Relano” and “Mustard Greens.” She also made Steven’s favorite desert, “Banana (“nanner” in the south) Pudding.” Needless to say it was good to be at home last night.

I had several phone calls that I had been promising myself to make but hadn’t made time for them this week.

#1 was a wayward member / worship leader who was rumored to be worshiping with our neighboring (and more traditional) congregation. I was unable to reach him. Our preacher had speculated that he was screening his calls. My intention wasn’t to “beg” him to come back although I would have liked a second chance. Don’t we all? I wanted to let him know that we still loved him and as Bill Glasser would say, “I needed some information.”

#2 was one of our dearest senior saints. Doyle is about 6 foot, 5 inches tall and a Korean War Veteran. He has been a long time usher for Central. He’s been suffering with rest-less leg syndrome. He told me that it keeps him up most of the night so he gets little sleep. The lack of sleep has also exasperated his heart condition. I told Doyle that “we all” missed him. There are certain people you’re used to seeing in certain places and in certain roles at church that are like a security blanket. Once you see them in their “spot” you know all is well.

Unlike my potential phone calls screener, Doyle seemed encourage by my call although he did start to cry when I told him how much he was loved by all of the folks at Central.

Isn’t that the kicker? My first “callee” is younger than I am and apparently became ticked off by the dreaded sin of; I hate to type it, yes, clapping in (apologies for the sarcasm) worship! One crossing of “his line” has led him to withdraw fellowship from us. And then there’s my Korean War Veteran brother, many years older than I. His lack of “fellowship” is due to a debilitating disease that he has no control over. His reaction to not being able to fellowship with us is tears.

Don’t you wonder sometimes how two people thrown into the same “church environment” can come away with 2 diametrically opposing impressions and commitment levels?

Have good weekend my fellow “blones.”

Comments:
What a difficult thing to deal with. How can we help people who concentrate on petty things? I think your brother who has a problem with hand clapping will one day travel the road of pain and that is a great perspective helper. Pain makes us realize what is most important in life. I just hope we can all see what the petty things are in our lives before the pain comes. It's much happier that way I think.
 
I struggle with this, specifically in how it makes me feel towards those who elevate the small things. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would think that God would be angered by applause or women serving or offering communion to our guests, etc. But I am realizing that some people worship the "acts" and not The God.

I pray that He will bring them along. I just wish they could enjoy the ride.
 
The ironic thing Steve is that this person will not be accepted by his "new" church due to having a divorce in his background.

In fact, he was worried how we would accept him after having been away from the Lord for several years. We had to convince him that Central was beyond the days of persecuting the divorced.

I guess he isn't beyond the days of persecuting the "clapper."
 
Thanks Greg. I've (as you well know / stop calling my cell phone on my peak times) never been afraid to talk to folks on the phone.

I don't mind if they give me a piece of thier ozfqsgd every now and then.
 
I've never been more frustrated than with those people who didn't want to be a part of a church that would accept them as a member. I actually had a person, who had been divorced himself, argue that our church was "too easy" on our restrictions on what divorced people should be allowed to do in church (of course he ended up going to another church that treated him like he thought he should be treated). Thanks for sharing the great contrast in your two calls. Makes you want to go hugsonbp.
 
Judy - I've wanted to use that bottle of moxtp many a time.

Unfortunately it wouldn't go well with my opdgbtvo!
 
I'm catching up on your blog after a week away doing other stuff.

I really don't like it when people leave and go elsewhere. It is a very difficult thing for a leader/shepherd.

But my main concern, brother, is not that a person leaves because of clapping, but rather that his "break" from the church is accompanied by silence. A family that decides to leave, even for small things, but yet goes through a process with the church of prayer, communion and, yes, tears, is understandible, while rupture without dialogue is deadly. It kills the soul.

Hang in there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?