Monday, January 23, 2006

Real Life Drama

We broke new ground for our church yesterday. I was involved in a skit to help kick off our Involvement (sorry about using the “P” word) Program. I played the husband of the Chuckster’s wife. I think Chuck was O.K. with it. I was tempted to use my “Hank Hill voice” but decided against it.

Don used our skit to springboard into his sermon on service in the Kingdom. At one point during our skit, I pretended to receive a cell phone call. As I was talking into my phone, my phone actually began to ring! Fortunately I had it set to vibrate and I kept saying my lines as if everything was copasetic.

When my scene ended I was able to check who was calling me in the middle of church and our skit. Who was the culprit? None other than my 15 year old son, Steven! He was thought it would be funny if I actually received a phone call as I was speaking on the phone. He had the biggest smile on his face after services.

I have to admit I wasn’t mad at the boy. I admired his sense of humor and timing. If I had been on my game I would have accepted the call and told Steven something along of the lines of, “No, I will not give you any more lessons on how to be cool like me.”

All in all it was a good day at Central.

Comments:
Wish I could have seen the skit. More than that, I wish I could have placed the call.

In a recent sermon, I had my brother-in-law call me about a minute into the message. I did a little fake phone call with Mike Scioscia about the bad umpiring during the playoffs. (My whole church knows I love the Angels.) There was a point in there somewhere about how easy it is to be distracted from God's voice, but mostly I was just wondering what I was going to do if he DIDN'T make the call.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?