Thursday, January 05, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Good morning.
First, props to Texas. USC had an outstanding run but they had dodged too many (like your Fresno boys) bullets this season to not run out of luck and not to mention facing a stud QB like Vince Young. Texas – National Champs; seems fitting for one of the hotbeds of high school football.

On the way to school today I had to stop for a school bus. Out in beautiful downtown West Cocoa, the school bus drivers have an interesting habit. When you stop for a school bus that is picking up kids in the oncoming traffic lane, the driver does the same thing every time they begin to pull away. As soon as they driver pulls in the flashing “Stop” sign on their bus and begins to drive off, they will wave at the drivers who obeyed the law and stopped to allow them to pick up kids. I guess it’s a sign of respect (and perhaps gratitude) for allowing them to perform their job safely. I know I’m weird but I actually get a little rush when I wave back to them acknowledging their wave.

The same thing happens to me at night when we’re traveling down the interstate (freeway for you SoCal, MiddleCal, and NoCal folks) and a semi wants to pass me. Highway etiquette states that you should flash your high beams at the Truck-driver when he has passed you and can safely pull over. Does anyone know how the truck-driver is supposed to acknowledge your courtesy in the middle of the night? I’ll wait 2 lines for your answer.



That’s right; they are supposed to flash their tail and running lights at you to acknowledge the deed. You guess it; I get a major rush when I receive this sign of respect and gratitude in the middle of the night on a lonely interstate / freeway.

What is it with respect? How is it shown to you? Do you even care? Is this something that the Christian should even worry about not that I’m worrying, am I? I know the sports talk radio guys were talking about Texas perceiving a lack of respect before the Rose Bowl was played. How about now?

Have a good day my fellow blones.

Comments:
Respect comes as such a surprise when you teach high school. I get the same rush when a kid holds a door for me or some such thing. I'm glad that I learned a long time ago that giving respect is the best way to get it back. And if it's not returned, you can still feel good about how YOU acted.
 
Thanks Randy. Waves and flashing running lights back at you.

I think the wv is wrong about me but believe it or not, here it is:

aloof
 
Respect should always be given. Too often, we spend too much time worrying about the respect we don't get, rather than handing it out.

Good to hear that you Florida people know how to FLASH each other some respect.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?