Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"My Bad" or "Give Me A "V."

What a whirlwind these last few hours have been for our family. One caveat - In the grand scheme of life, making Varsity or J.V. Baseball pales in comparison with most of the “curve balls” life can throw your way. But when one of these curveballs hits your child, it seems like the world has momentarily come to an end.

To fill in more detail from Tuesday, Steven was in the batting cage the day on Tuesday with some other players as the rest of the team were hitting on the field. Steven asked an Assistant Coach when he should report to the field to hit live pitching? The coach fired back, “You J.V. players need to learn your place. You’ll wait until the Varsity is done.” Steven replied, “J.V.?” The coach said, “That’s right “S.Walk.” (his given nickname on the diamond) You remember how it was on the J.V. last year.”

It was this gruff announcement that rocked my son’s world on Tuesday.
You know how we reacted from Tuesday’s blog. I appreciated your comments and your prayers on behalf of Steven.

All day long I was praying to God to give Steven something that would encourage him today (Wednesday). As you all know, our God is a God of “extremes” when it comes to our prayers. Sometimes that’s a good thing and other times it doesn’t seem to be very favorable, at least from our frail human perspective.

After being in almost continual (probably the standard state of most teacherss) prayer yesterday, I left for the field to catch the last part of practice. As I drove up to the field, I saw Steven playing third base with what I would consider the “other varsity” players. When Steven saw me he tried to signal something to me but I’m terrible at reading lips! Then he flashed me a huge smile and made the “V” sign with his fingers. That’s right, THE BOY MADE VARSITY!!!!

To say that we were happy would be an understatement. I asked him about Tuesday’s events and here’s what he told me:

He said the Ast. Coach was in a bad mood that day. Duh! He was in such a bad mood that he mixed up the hitting rotation. When Steven saw the Head Varsity Coach yesterday, he said, “S.Walk, we screwed up the hitting rotation with the Varsity players. Sorry about that. We’ll make sure you hit on the field with the Varsity today.” Steven said, “Varsity! Coach, I made the Varsity?” The coach said, “Sure, didn’t you know that?” Steven told him he was happy but that Coach Rottan had ruined his day yesterday. The coach’s response was classic, he said, “My bad.”

“My bad?” “My bad” lasted for about 12 hours from Tuesday through yesterday! But praise God our boy who has been playing baseball since he was 4 years old made the Cocoa High Baseball Team as a sophomore!
You know what Steven did to make me really proud? Several things:

1. He told me most of his hurt feelings from yesterday were due to the fact that the Ast. Coach had hurt the feelings of not just him, but several of the boys. He said, “Dad, I don’t want to play on the J.V. but if I have to, so be it. But that wasn’t any way to treat my friends and me when we’ve been paying the price since September.” Steven has always had great empathy for others.

2. He woke up on Wednesday in a good mood and told me he knew this was all in God’s hands. Keep teaching me my son.

3. He was sad for his 2 friends, Devin and Ryan that didn’t make varsity. Say a prayer for those boys.

4. Ryan was back in church tonight, hanging out with Steven. Steven's celebration was tempered by his sensitivity to Ryan.

Thanks again family. Praise God!

Comments:
Randy - lol! I told Steven about the "insurance" and he busted out in the car this morning.

Greg - Yes you are!! Thanks for the prayers and the counsel.

Hey bloggers, let us let our guard down for just a moment and enjoy a smooth bottle of trjrvmt on me.
 
Thanks Judy.
 
Congrats to Steven! That's good news...gecko or no gecko.
 
Don't get me wrong, I'll take the boatload of savings on my car insurance.

How about another take off a different commerical:

“Making the Varsity as a sophomore – Priceless. Buying the $150 glove and $275 bat – bankruptcy.”
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
There really is no joy like the joy we experience for our kids. I've ridden the athletic roller coaster with my kids for years, and there is also no low like the low we feel when our kids don't quite cut it. My congrats to Steven, and to his dad who is successfully teaching him how to handle failure and success with equal strength of character.
 
Thanks John. Like you, we've been through the best of times and the worst of times with Steven's athlectic endeavors.

One of the best 3 day classes I've heard at Pepperdine was Rick Atchley's Classes on the "Ministry of Healing."

He spoke at length on ministering to folks when their prayers are answered with a "no" or silence.
 
I've been darting around today, reading people's first blogs. For some reason, Blogger won't let me visit yours. Every time I click on one of your Archive links, I get sent to Randy's blog. Weird.

But I have to let you know, as I have others, how much I've enjoyed getting to know you this year, Math Bro. We have a lot in common obviously, chiefly our love of our Savior.

I appreciate your honesty in sharing the joys and sorrows of being an elder. You are obviously a good one, trying to lead your flock closer to Christ. You're a good dad too and a good friend. I look forward to meeting you face-to-face, hopefully this year, and getting to know you better in 2006.

You are a blessing to me.
 
Thanks Steve. When Randy, Beth, Madison, and Reese came down for a visit in August, I remember commenting, “I really like that “Intentional Walk guy.” I’ve now grown to love and admire you as Steve - the math-loving, house crashing, man of God that you are.

You have a God-given gift with the Word and your ability to communicate it not to mention your sense of humor.

I hope we can meet each other this summer. Take care my Math Brother.

May God bless you, Lisa, and James.
 
Congratulations brother. I am so glad for Steven. It doesn't matter if the facts are true or not, when we're hurt, we're hurt. I am so glad that your mourning turned to dancing. It sounds like you have a son with a lot of heart and passion. That's a good thing!
Sorry I haven't seen this until today. I'm trying to catch up on some commenting.
Pray for Brandon. He tries out Monday-Wednesday for the middle school team.
 
Thanks Keith and you got the prayers for Brandon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?