Thursday, January 12, 2006

Fog



First, I want to say thanks for all of the affirmations that came my way from you, my lovely “blone” family. You guys are great.

Lately I’ve been avoiding Interstate 95 (or “The 95”) when I drive to work. I’ve been taking a surface street route that takes me through some country. I know Greg remembers “Plukebaum Road.” Getting off Hwy 520 at Range Road takes me by a dilapidated ranch that used to be known as “Moody Ranch.” All that remains are a house and vacant farm land.

Today the land and even part of the vacant house were covered by a thick blanket of fog. I remember fog rolling in on our Jr. Field (13 and 14 year olds) several times when Steven played Little League. The fog worked to our advantage in one game. We were behind by one run in the bottom of the 7th with a runner on second. Steven was the batter and he hit one in the gap between Center and Right Field. Steven ended up with an in-the-park homerun and part of the reason why was because when the ball hit the outfield, the outfielders had trouble following the ball through the fog as it rolled to the fence! You might call that home field advantage or maybe they we’re in “a fog.”

So I guess fog is sometimes a good thing? I remember when my Dad had one of his heart attacks. He actually coded while in the hospital following a previous heart attack. I was in his ICU room when he awoke. He couldn’t speak due to being hooked up to a respirator. He motioned to me that he wanted something to write on. I’ll never forget the words he wrote. He wrote, “What happened?” My Dad was in a fog. His last memory was talking to a nurse the night before he was scheduled to come home from the hospital.

Is it biblical to say that God is in a fog when it comes to our sins when we’ve been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb? I’m not a Biblical Scholar but I like to believe that when the “Book of Life” is opened at the great judgment, next to my name will only be one word, “Jesus!”

Love you guys. Have a good day.
Isaiah 44:22 "I have wiped out your transgressions like a thick cloud, And your sins like a heavy mist. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you."

Comments:
It's good news that when Jesus sees us, he sees Jesus.

I believe that Jesus on the cross shows that God is not in the fog when it comes to sin. He deals with every one of them, and nails them all onto the cross. He sees all the sorrow and separation that sin brings.

Actually, we are the ones in the fog when it comes to sin.

Thanks for the thoughts.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Brady - I've never considered that view point and how comforting it will be to know there's no guilt in Heaven!

awphxiau (The new phxiau burger at A&W)
 
Those of you who know the San Joaquin Valley will back me up on this: You don't know NOTHIN' about no FOG. The tule fog that creeps along the surface of the valley floor is the densest matter this side of a freshman's brain.

I actually referenced fog in a recent sermon. We've been talking about man's lostness and God's choices of response. Sandra gave me permission to tell a story about her and I'm extending it to here.

She used to work nights in a little town called Selma which is just south of Fresno. Driving home one night she got lost in the fog and called Lex for help. He asked her what the last street sign she remembered was.

"I can't see the street signs, Lex," she answered.

"It's THAT foggy?"

"No, I'm just driving too fast."

Gotta love her. And be happy that she's, y'know, alive. Still, isn't that such a human thing to do? We get lost, so we go faster. We figure we'll see something familiar eventually. Left to our own devices, we would wander until we died. Praise God for lifting the fog and putting us back on the right path. It's a good reminder to slow down, even stop, and ask the Spirit for His guidance.
 
Another thing I have in common with at least Sandra, "Lead foot."

Richard Petty's famous motto:
"An inch is as good as a mile."

Except of course in fog.

Anybody up for some paajcns?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?