Monday, January 09, 2006

Apology Part 2

Hello Blog Family.
Yesterday was an interesting day for me with respect to you. It was the first time I felt I was an obstacle to all of you. It was the first time I felt like dropping this whole phenomenon that has become such and important part of my life. However the event that I attended this evening served to end the day on a weird but somewhat upbeat note.

First let me say this and I say this with the most loving tone that I can muster -
Please feel free to email me directly at walkerc2@brevard.k12.fl.us
if I ever blog something or type a comment on your blog that you find offensive or negative. I can assure you that neither of the above are ever my intent.

As for yesterday’s blog, my intent was to relay an incident that happened in my life that showed me qualities like sportsmanship, humility, and being a positive role model are not dead. Not to mention having the kind of conversation I had with Rusty who had one of those rare experiences that all boys who grow up to be men dream about, a game winning hit in a World Series Game. The amazing aspect about my experience was it was with a guy who has every right (in the world’s way of doing things) to brag about his World Series experience. But he didn't and in fact, he evoked a time honored southern tradition, to make light and to minimize his performance.

In the course of our conversation he used a word that apparently some if not all of you found offensive. To that I apologize. Like Rusty, I, was trying to be funny. I thought we had broached this part of our relationship and so I took liberties where I shouldn’t had taken any. One of the positives of blogging is the aspect of being challenged by what you write and to that end I was challenged and forced to re-evaluate my humor.

But the Lord does have a strange sense of humor himself. I honestly believe that, just look at me. The Lord’s humorous side was displayed to me again this past evening at a surprise birthday party.

Jan turned 50 today. Her husband arranged a surprise b/d party at a local Mexican restaurant. There were about 50 of us in attendance. Jan is a great sister in Christ. She supports our youth group as well as our week of camp along with Teen Week.

As you would expect the usual “black” items were used to decorate for the occasion. As Jan was opening up her gifts in front of 50 of our members she came across a black gift bag. You can probably guess what was on the bag. It read, “Happy Birthday You Old ______.” (that word)
What did Jan do? What did the 50 people do in attendance? They laughed.
I didn’t for a moment because I was gun shy needless to say.

Maybe it’s a southern thing? I don’t know. I promise never to use that word in a blog or comment again. But it was good to laugh tonight.

Comments:
Thanks Greg.
 
Greg - I'm not feeling too good today. Woke up in the middle of the night with a "gut-ache" and I still have it.

I just caught on to your wv. lol
 
Thanks Randy. I saw the article about "Joe Pa's" trouble with N.O.W.
 
I feel so totally gypped. I missed the whole thing. Now I'm going to have to go on thinking that my east coast counterpart is a good guy.

I'm actually pretty darn sure that you ARE a good guy, buddy. I have an instinct about these things.
 
Thanks Steve. Send me your email address if you want to hear yesterday's story. It centered around a conversation I had with a World Series Hero. (84)
 
I've been trying to guess which Rusty all day. Staub? Kuntz? Can't remember who played in '84. I could research it but I'm just too darned tired.

You are always welcome to drop me a line at thurman8er(at)comcast(dot)net.
 
I missed it...I'm lost...
Oh well, must not have been all that bad.
 
I actually had to work yesterday, so I missed it too. And I really wanted to get down on someone too. Man. I'm going to go watch some unchtv
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?