Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Your Song

Steven had pitching lessons last night in the frigid east central Florida weather. Actually, it was in the high 40's which for Florida, if it gets much lower we close all border crossings. Anyway, I was talking to Steven’s pitching coach, Brian. For some reason we were talking about Contemporary Christian Music. He told me when he pitched in college he was asked by the “Stadium geeks” what did he want “his song” to be when he entered games. He said his first year playing his song was (as he put it) an “old school rap song.” The lyric that played when the song came on went something like, “In California we know how to party.” (Inject the obligatory rap noises)

His next year in college is when he came to know the Lord. So for that year he picked the song by “3rd Day” or “D.C. Talk” called “Jesus Freak.” Brian said when he came to the mound that second year he wanted people to know by the playing of that song that he had given his life to the Lord.

So what is your song or songs that say something about you? I’ll throw mine out there in the comments section.

Just 3 more days my fellow blones and Steve and I are free!

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Hey Cec, great blog. You are the bomb!
Oops, sorry for the narcissistic humor. For my song I’ll pick “What If I Stumble” by D.C. Talk. As an elder I’m always mindful of the eyes that are on me as well as the damage I might do to our church should I “stumble.”

The other song is from Zoe, “My God Reigns.” Helps to know that He reigns despite my performance, good or bad.
eayxwhi (A must ingredient of a good song)
 
Judy - I love those songs and especially when they're sung together. Great choice.
wkrgr (What one says ("wk") when rgr is spelled backwards.)
 
Greg- Another good one. I was listening to it on the way in to work today. It always remind me of Muz and the singing at her funeral everytime I hear it.
cwhxpq (as Greg would say - Cecil Walker's hxpq)
 
This is a great question and there are two ways of looking at it. Which song says something to me, and/or which song would I want playing when I toed the dirt in the batter's box. The dream of playing in the major leagues has, for me, not yet died.

"Amazing Love" reminds me that Jesus, Lord and King, could have carried out his plan any way he wanted, but chose to die in my place.

But that wouldn't get me fired up to line a shot back up the middle. For that, I think I would need something faster and louder. How about "Sunshine of Your Love" by Clapton? That way, if anyone asked, I could say, "Well, just Whose love do you think I'm talking about?"

Tick tock, Cecil. Counting down the minutes.
 
For Zoe songs go to the Zoe Website at http://www.zoegroup.org/

Judy - I received your last email about "W" in Christmas. It looks like you can get through again.

Good thing our District turned off the gpfwgo filter.
 
Steve - 2 days and counting my math/baseball brother!
rwimp - (someone who doesn't like praise songs and baseball)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
No Queen fans out there?
"Another One Bites the Dust."
Sorry, I just had a piece of yyfgk and it makes me a bit hyper.
 
No fair! I still have 6th period left to teach. It has occurred to me that you will get to Christmas vacation before me.

I guess the upside is that you will have to start the new year before me too. I'll still be sleeping when you're teaching that first lesson after the break.

Cold comfort. Geyim.
 
There are benefits and deficits to the “east coast offense.” Steve – its 8:36am (EST), get out to bed.
vvvvcoj (Do 4 "v's" make me a winner in Texas Hold-em?")
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?