Thursday, December 08, 2005

Rainy Days and Thursdays

Apologies to the Carpenters for tweaking one of their titles.

Disclaimer – The caller of previous post was actually “nice” on the phone. I did take exception to the “….if I where an elder” comment. I might be a little sensitive seeing as he was one of the 4 elder “candidates” that turned “us” and the church down about a year ago.

Spoke to caller a second time on Tuesday night. Results:
You’ll be glad to know that I’m now over “2 changes” per year and I’m “dizzy.”

1. My caller pointed out a few more changes (more casual dress, change in our Sunday night format, and change in our preacher from a traditional mindset to one of openness) that hadn’t come to mind. We both agreed that most of the changes that he and I had listed over the last 2 days were for the most part, trivial. Despite all that we had listed I couldn’t help but feel like the “one talent guy” of Matthew 25.
2. My caller told me he had given some advice to one of his elder (is there a pattern here?) friends at the church north of us. His advice was to not let some of his members pull the “Romans 14 card” (my terminology by the way, clever huh?) when it came to some long needed changes at his church. This is where I got dizzy.

Conclusion –
I kind of feel like I wasted 2 phone calls. Don’t get me wrong, I love this caller and he is a blessing to our church.

So, how about this for a conclusion:
(heard this today on the radio)
1. All saints have a past and all sinners have a future.
2. Our God reigns! Amen.

Comments:
I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am of catering to the people who want everything to stay the same. I want to tell them to jump on board or find another train, but that is probably why I'm not an elder. The church is changing, thank God, and you have to have a relationship and at least a glimmer of vision to see it.

What is a fubfly?
 
Steve, I'm convinced you'd make a wonderful elder. In fact, would you like to join Jeff and me at Central here in beautiful east Central Florida? No one else seems to want to.

I think the secret of being an elder is knowing when to tell folks to get on board and knowing when its time to tell them to find another train. I actually haven’t told anybody the latter. They usually beat me to the punch.
ivdrc (Line from the 70's T.V. show "Emergency" - "Rampart, I need an i.v. of ringers lactate and drc.")
 
When I heard the original on the radio I took it as, "Saints," be humble - you do have a past. As for the "sinners" - don't give up hope, in Jesus there is a future.

Remember, we Christians shouldn't be too npazr about these things.
 
Cecil, you forgot to say "stat!" at the end of the Emergency quote. They ended every sentence with "stat!"

All those all y'all's make me feel like going to the rhotio.
 
I miss Gage and Desoto.
Here's another line:
"Clear right."
 
I pray that we can all get past the quirkiness of our past and get on with what God has called us to be. I am glad you are hanging in there Steve. And since Greg can use all the "yalls" I can use the saying "Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit!" Makes you feel right "qrcli."
 
That's good Keith.
Just call me Mr.Hair today.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?