Friday, December 02, 2005

Out of the Closet

Easy out there. The title doesn’t refer to me, well kind of. It actually refers to our sweet little cat, Cloe. Explanation please:

Last night I was repairing a shelf in Barb’s closet. It had fallen a few days ago and we were just getting around to repairing it. That’s right
Greg, I actually had some tools in my hand besides a “big fork.” Any way, we had just finished repairing the shelf and were hanging up the 1000’s, no, (my wife might read this – love you honey) hundreds of clothes that had brought the shelf down when my son called to me from our Study. He said, “Dad, come quick. Cloe looks so cute.”

So as a good father would do, I headed off to our Study. As I enter the Study I see the closet (there’s that word) doors open and our cute, little cat Cloe, sitting on top of the shelving. Next I hear a sound that I’m sure doesn’t match the sound Steve heard when his home was turned into a drive-in but nevertheless, it was loud. The sound was followed by the entire shelf in the closet (I hate that word) collapsing on and around our cute little cat, (you know the name by now) Cloe!

I immediately sprang like a (hairy) cat and rushed to the closet. I grab the shelf with one hand to support it and I use my other hand to look for (insert adjectives) Cloe. As I’m performing this ballet of support and triage, I called to my son to come help me.

Silly me! What was I thinking? You see, Steven was instant messaging (IM) with Josh, Greg’s son. He looks at my silly request and says, “Oh Dad, wait a minute. I have got to tell Josh what just happened.” So while I’m supporting this disaster with one hand and looking for (insert adjectives) Cloe with the other, my son is “IM-ing” Josh about this scene being played out in beautiful downtown West Cocoa.

I turn around to see Josh’s response on the computer. I think it was “LOL” which I think means “laughing out loud.” At his point I’m wishing for a stamp that I can press on Steven’s head that reads “GOTC.” (Get off the computer!!) Amazingly enough, I find myself drawn into the IM chat. As I’m doing my best imitation of a military press, I tell Steven, “Ask Josh if he can use his funeral home skills on a cat?” I think Josh’s reply was something to the effect of, “We do monkeys, penguins, and maybe a giraffe but no cats!”

For some reason Randy’s recent post about hairy chests came to my mind next so I tell Steven to IM Josh the following, “What about hairy (referring to one of my many nicknames) rascals?” Josh gives me the thumbs up on that request. Nothing like love for your brother.

At this point I’m maxing out on the lactic acid in my numerous muscles so I prevail upon my son to help me with the shelf.

Moral of the story:
1. Cloe lived and is O.K. (I know some of you were flashing to the cat scene in the “Christmas Vacation” movie. Sorry. Cat lived.
2. As a result of my evening I now have “closet-phobia.” Pray for me. Just don’t IM me for a while.

Comments:
Through tears of laughter he wrote:

I can relate! Ever since my car was hit twice in three days I'm dealing with some serious road fear.

For some reason I find it hilarious that Steven was IM'ing the whole time you were keeping the world from caving in on (#&@*) Cloe. I'm sure Josh was LOL'ing from afar while you were just wishing that your beloved son would type in a BBL and GOTC.

So when it was all over did you go, "pghtow"?
 
Math Bro. - To borrow a quote from "Smoky and the Bandit," I wanted to find the sub contractor that put in our shelves and "slap his Mama!"
Of course, I do not condone edoiuv.
 
I have no idea who Monie is but she must like cats, closets, or hairy rascals. At any rate she is alway welcomed as long as she refrains from ryrfg.
 
Randy - Tis the season to sing (insert Burl Ives voice) "Silver and Gold." Does anyone else get scared when the “Abominable Snowman” shows up on the 1960’s animated “Rudolph the Red-Nose Raindeer?”
I wonder if rrayi was used to illuminate Rudolph's nose?
 
Hello Monie and welcome to "our" little corner of the blog community. I’m glad you found “us.” Our blogs will vary at times from serious to funny as we try to live out faith-engaged lives.

We have a little practice with the “word verification.”
We try to take the combination of letters the WV throws at us and attempt to be witty.
So ryrfg doesn't mean anything as well as a piping pot of kpzzbtrb.

Welcome again. Hope you visit back.
 
I too was glad to see Monie stop by and I hope she doesn't mind our tnoppm.
 
Welcome to the family Monie. You've blundered into a happy and sometimes crazy group of folks who just want to live out grace filled lives. We all attend Churches of Christ in CA, TN, VA, AL, and FL. Did I leave anyone out? If I did, a 1000 rlhcnsrl.
 
Well said Judy.
And Monie, don't let Meowmix (Judy) fool you, she contributes as much to our discourse as the next blogger. In fact, it's great to have a wiser (I didn't say older) female among us to add the flavor that a woman of her statue can add to our discourse.
I certainly lack the pcbfmlr to think anything else.
 
Well said Judy. I must have been out of my wakmlgnu!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?