Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Ice-man Cometh

Started our Christmas shopping this past Monday. Almost finished it today. At one point we were in Belk Lindsey shopping for my father-in-law. He’s one of these guys who has everything although he doesn’t have an "all in one TV / flashlight/flashing red light/ C.D. player" nor does he have a digital pedometer. In this very same section I found not one, nor two, but 10 boxes containing gloved ice-scrapers! That’s right, here in sunny east Central Florida – 10 boxes filled with an ice-scraper attached to a thermal glove!

I couldn’t help but hold up one of the boxes and yell over to the guy working the cash register, "Hey buddy, how fast are these ice-scrapers flying off the shelves?" He looked at me and said, "Don’t even get me started about those things." It all reminded me of an episode of M.A.S.H. where in the dead of winter the unit receives a shipment of summer underwear and mosquito netting.

This all begs the question – What is the most useless or out of season gift you’ve seen in the stores lately? How about mouse traps in Arlington, Virginia?

Comments:
I don't know about out-of-season, but nearly everything I've seen has been useless. I spent 10 minutes in a makeup store today buying a gift certificate for my niece. Who, I just realized, I hope doesn't read your blog.

Lots of money being spent on useless stuff. Except, of course, all of the books, cd's, and dvd's I want.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Randy - You would have more time for reading my wonderful blogs about my qfshb if your mice batting average was higher than .125

Sorry Steve, I just kept score again. Repeat after me Cecil, "You're on vacation, you're on vacation."
heesyd (southern for "He said.")
 
There are three (count 'em, 3!) such snow globes in my neighborhood alone.

I have one of those neighborhoods where many folks try to keep up. Thus the enourmous quantity of Christmas clutter on the lawns. Last year, one of our neighbors had 36 little trees which lit up. And our little subdivision front lawns are tiiiiiiny.

With apologies to all southern readers, we have dubbed the street opposite ours "Hillbilly Row".
 
I shur du preshate all ya'll talkn bout suthrners. Maks me feel reel guud, beins i'm frum Alabama!

Ya'll jus remimbur we got wurds ya'll don't got!

jeetyet - "Did you eat yet?"
naaw - "No!"
jew - "Did you?"
yuon't too - "Do you want to?"

widjidiji - "Ya'll didn't brang your fishn pole widjidiji?"

The dumbest Christmas gift is a dictionary in the south!

stbagbeb - Patron saint of the bagbeb
 
Someone once gave me Windows 98. That was as bad as it's gotten.
 
Brady - Windows 98 is what I'm currently using. Time to upgrade to jntzhiqs.
 
Chia pets...
Somebody out there makes a whole lot of money every year on Chia Pets.
Go Figure...
And...although it isn't necessary because Steven's niece is beautiful without make-up, (unlike her mother), she will be thrilled her uncle cared enough about her to brave the new exciting Sophora in the mall to get her a gift certificate!
 
It wasn't Christmas, but you reminded me of a huge gift endcap display I saw a few years ago at K-Mart. Over the display of about a hundred packages of toilet paper was the large sign which read "It's Almost Father's Day!" At least it's not another ugly tie!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?