Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hooters

I thought that title might catch your attention.

This past Sunday following our morning services, my son and the Youth Group (YG) went out to lunch together. Very encouraging. Good group of kids. They told all of us parents that they were going to the Piccadilly Cafeteria at our local Mall. Good choice. Cheap. Lots of “older people.” Not too wild of a place.

Plans changed. Seems the drivers (3 cars) decided to go to the Hooters instead. The Hooters on Merritt Island is right next to a Steak and Shake Restaurant. In telling this story my son told me he was walking towards Steak and Shake when the rest of the YG re-directed him towards Hooters.

I’m assuming Hooters is a national chain. If it isn’t, a quick description not that I’ve been in one before. A “friend” relayed the following:

1. Mostly serves chicken wings.
2. Waitresses are very pretty and wear close fitting / non Bible Camp Dress Code approved apparel.

You might ask how does an elder’s (sorry Randy) son try to validate YG’s trip to Hooters. He relayed the following “it makes it alright to visit Hooters” criteria:
1. We invited our waitresses to Church.
2. I prayed loud enough for everyone to hear.
3. Wanted everyone to know that we’re church-going folk.

Let me know what you think about my responses:
1. I’m proud of you for sharing your faith.
2. That was bold, I think.
3. I’m glad you weren’t ashamed of the Gospel and the commitment you made to Jesus.

Bottom-line – It was somewhat deceitful. Don’t go there again.

I wasn’t too harsh with Steven although I wondered if I should have been. I did think of Sandra’s recent post about her husband Lex and his involvement with his fellow bikers. Now don’t get me wrong, I know these teens were being somewhat silly and having a good time. But there was a part of me that wondered if Jesus had gone out to lunch after our service, would he had gone with me to a “respectable” restaurant or would he have joined the YG at Hooters? Makes me wonder.

Comments:
O.K., I may be wrong, as I often am, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would go wherever the people were that needed Him.

That, however, doesn't mean we want our teenage boys (who are not God in man form, but just man in man form) to put themselves in situations that will trip them up.

So, I think you did a good job with Steven, if my opinion counts at all. :)
 
It does and thanks Sandra.
zxqugboe (What my son will be eating at his next meal with the YG)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Thanks Judy and here goes:
zdmjp (A military WV - "zd observes "j" coming between the mp.)
 
Being incarnate means being where the people are in our world to take to them Jesus.

I don't think I'm going to try a Hooters ministry any time soon, but kingdom thnking means that we have got to get out of the church buildings and into the world.

"Don't go there again" is good advice for a young man though. You did the right thing--bottom line - or higher.

lpwmvvi - The sound a teen makes when walking into Hooters!
 
I'm confused. I thought a hooter was a good joke?

Which was, I think, what Steve pulled.
 
All this talk about "lines" makes me want to say, "Hello. I'm Johnny Cash. I hear that line, I mean train a coming."
svmdm (Greek name for Hooters)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?