Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Sweet and Sour Worship

On the way to Steven’s (sickness) guitar lessons last night we decided to eat at the new Vietnamese restaurant next to the Guitar Store. As we waited for the waitress we had one of those good, light-hearted family discussions. For some reason our 2 trips to Yosemite with Greg’s Family came up in the conversation. We laughed about our first trip when Steven was five and all the “men” slept out under the stars (actually blue tarps) in our “House-Keeping Unit.” It was very cold that night and for some reason Steven kept falling out of his cot. I was keeping and “eye” on him by crawling as far under my sleeping bag as my body could get to stay warm. At one point I had drifted off to sleep when I felt this little creature sitting on top of me saying, “Dad, Dad, are you in there?” When I poked my head out of my borough to answer him, I asked what was the matter? Steven shrugged and said, “I fell out of my bed (cot) again.” At that point we remembered how much Josh was laughing at Steven. Steven smiled and said, “Josh is always laughing at something I do.” He loves Joshua.

Talk about digressing, I digress – It was at this point our waitress came to take our orders. I was going to order based on the “sweet and sour pork” that I had at Mr. Trans, one of Greg’s favorite restaurants in Bixby Knolls. When I asked for the “sweet and sour pork” I received a “sweet and sour” look from our waitress. She informed me this wasn’t a Chinese restaurant. She said that Chinese food, Japanese food, and Vietnamese food were all different but if I trusted her, she would pick something for me that I would like. By the way, I can’t pronounce or even half describe what I had but it was good.

Now I was sure that I had ordered sweet and sour pork in Long Beach. I had assumed that all Vietnamese restaurants would have sweet and sour pork, and, I must admit for a moment I was disappointed. However, our waitress was so nice in her demeanor and when she asked me to trust her I couldn’t help myself and it all turned out for the good.

This incident reminded me of a conversation I had when I first started attending a Church of Christ back around 1983. I had asked a long time member about diversity (worship styles) among Churches of Christ throughout the U.S. This was his answer and it was given as a positive: No matter where you go in the U.S., every Church of Christ will have the same style and order of worship. In other words, you can expect “sweet and sour pork worship” at any U.S. CoC.

I don’t believe that was true in 1983 and I know it isn’t true now, and praise God that it isn’t. I believe the New Testament bares this out. I’m sure Paul enjoyed worshiping Greek Salad style in Athens as well as kosher style in Jerusalem. The same should hold true today. I had an inner-city minister in Cincinnati, Ohio tell me that if we came to his services, most of the young men would be wearing baggy pants with their underwear showing and most of their praise songs would have a “rap” background. Being an ex-collegiate basketball player, he actively plays and witnesses on the inner city playgrounds of his city.

Yes, it’s a good thing that we can’t find sweet and sour pork in all of our churches through out the country. Just trust the local “waiters and waitresses” as they live out their lives of faith in their individual communities. Mark 9: 38 - 40

Comments:
I like what Greg's friend at Long (Steve) Beach once said, "Some people think the God of the New Testament is the God of the Old Testament after He got "religion." In otherwords, Got got "nicer" with the introduction of Matthew. We know God is the same yesterday,today, and for always. It seems we do have a tendency to focus on one aspect of His nature.
bzgork (State of Word Verification when it goes crazy)
 
I'm so glad we are not all alike, although we mostly were in the past. Now we tend to let the Spirit guide us. Now we allow for the fact that each group of the church has its own personality. I'm glad because otherwise, Monday morning blogging would go like this:

Randy - I certainly enjoyed the 3 songs and the prayer that preceded my sermon yesterday. And communion was the same as always, from behind a table, the way the Good Lord meant for it to be.

Greg - My sermon was long, as usual, but people were prepared for it by the 3 songs that came before. We were encouraged in prayer just before the sermon as our brother asked God to guide, guard, and direct us down the uneven pathways of life. Communion was normal. Normal is good.

Cecil - It was a pleasure to see that there was no deviation from the recognized format this morning. The 3 songs were good because we all knew them. Prayer and the message were in the right order. I was very comfortable.

Sorry, my sister says that sometimes I ooze sarcasm. Isn't it nice to be a part of worship with life?

atpft (i dare you to say it without spitting)
 
Steve- tell your sister to save you a piece of coca-cola cake!
For me you could have added, "I'm glad we got to sing one of my favorite songs, "I "knee" Thee Every Hour.""
See earlier post about my knee and the power button on the church's computer.
Pardon me while I wiped the spit off my computer screen thanks to Steve's challenge.
hqayzn (rite of passage using the word verification)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?