Friday, November 11, 2005

"Starke" Blessing

Steven went to Cocoa's playoff football game tonight which gave Barb and me a night alone. We're pretty much tired from getting our garage sale ready today. We did manage to go out to eat and when we came home we were welcomed by a ringing phone. It was Joe.

Joe calls about twice a month and he always calls collect. Joe hasn't felt grass on his bare feet nor has he opened a refrigerator in about a year and a half. Joe's current address is the Florida State Prison (Raiford) in Starke, Florida.

I always look forward to Joe's calls. In just a few seconds after the cursory greetings we give each other he is bursting forth with a message that God has laid on his heart.
In the fog (and dust) of cleaning up our garage today I can’t remember the first part of our conversation but I do remember how it ended. As we were given the one-minute warning over the phone, Joe asked if he could pray a blessing on my family and me. In his blessing he thanked God for how we had blessed him and he asked the Creator of the Universe to bless our family further so we might in turn bless others.
As we said goodbye I couldn’t help but be humbled by this man who lives in a very wicked place. Joe needs so much prayer and yet he took the time to bless me and my family and this despite the fact that he knows we can touch grass and open refrigerators any time we want.
If you get a chance, try to remember a brother who is trying to not only survive but be a light in a very dark place.

Comments:
Meowmix is back in the house! We missed you.
My "Joe" is like your Bobby. He is in prison due to things that he is guilty of including parole violation under Florida's Jessica Lunsford Law.
The refreshing thing about Joe is with each conversation he readily admits to being the person responsible for putting him where he is.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?