Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Ryan / Snapshots

First, a prayer request. Steven’s friend Ryan, who was diagnosed with meningitis over the weekend, has viral meningitis. This is certainly an answer to prayer as the bacterial variety only has a 50% survival rate. I spoke with Ryan’s Dad last night and he is still concerned. Ryan’s spinal tap is still leaking and this is causing him severe headaches and nausea. He was also experiencing some nausea with the morphine that was being administered. I could tell that Ryan’s Dad was still very concerned.

So here’s the request; pray that Ryan’s headaches stop and the doctors can find the right combination of medicines that will stop Ryan’s nausea.

Now to some positive snapshots – I must admit there are times when I read Steve’s or Randy’s blog with some envy when they refer to the experiences they are having with their "younger" children. I don’t know if Greg, Brady, or Keith experience this phenomena since they have older children but I do. At times I miss the "younger" Steven when he thought Dad could do no wrong. That’s not to say that there aren’t any "positives", as your kids become older.

One snapshot that came to me occurred Sunday. We had gone out to eat (still tasting that blackened Mahi-mahi sandwich) after church. The teens had finished their meal first so Steven and 2 of his buddies went out to our car to listen to the radio. I left a little early to go to the hospital. When I walked out to our car I found Steven and his 2 compadres listening to a C.D. of praise songs. Warm fuzzy feeling inside.

2nd Snapshot – Last night after dinner, Steven asked me if I would come into his bedroom and watch the Colts vs. Pitt. Game with him. At 15 I know he at times (Thank God they seem to be somewhat infrequent) thinks that his Mom and Dad are not cool. Didn’t we all at that age? And yet I received a personal invitation to join him in his world. For a few moments the pressure to become "independent" was gone and we were able to just enjoy the moment, father and son.

Have a good day my fellow blones. Don’t forget Ryan.

Comments:
Dang it, you got me on this one, Cecil. I have images in my head that are sort of "future snapshots." I hope James invites me in his room to watch a game when he's 15. (Don't DO this to me, I'm in class and I can't have my eyes leaking right now!)

I've probably shared this but I'll do so again. I'll never forget giving James a bath one night and putting my hand behind his head to lower him back in the water and rinse the shampoo out of his hair. I remember thinking ahead to when I would (I pray) lower him into the water in baptism...as my father did me.

Leaking. Dang it! Vafkuc!
 
Judy - Thanks for remembering Ryan.
Greg - Perhaps that is the secret to why teens become young adults and suddenly discover that their parents were not as mentally challenged as they believed when they were 15. I do look forward to that time.
Steve - Baptizing your son as I did Steven is a major “leak” time.
More “leak time” – When your son asks you a question about scripture. He asked me the other night why the Gospel of John was my favorite Gospel? It was cool to actually see him “listening” to me as we discussed the Bible.
Stay dry.
wnbafnun (wn - baf - nun) Southern verbage for the question "When is my bath done?"
 
I think I know who the daughter and family are and my heart goes out to them. That is the disconcerting part of life. We can do all that we know to bring a child up in the Lord and yet they can choose to ignore that teaching when giving in to the flesh.

All we can do is pray that somewhere down the road of life they will listen and heed the teachings of their childhoods. Of course, even through the pain we must love our children but how it can hurt.
mpmnly (Adverbial form of mpmn)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?