Thursday, November 03, 2005

I'm Sorry

Those words (I’m sorry.) hold a lot of meaning for me. I’ve heard that phrase twice in the last 4 days. The first time (previous post) was this past Sunday at Central. A couple dear to my heart came back to the Lord and our church this past Sunday after having been away for several months. They were mad over some decisions that had taken place and had chosen to withdraw their fellowship from us and ultimately the Lord. As I hugged both of them during the invitation they uttered that phrase, “I’m sorry.” Those words were music to my ears not because that it was a way for my “position” to be vindicated. It was the signal that a relationship wanted to be and was going to be restored.

I heard that phrase again this morning with the added word, “Dad.” Last night on the way home from church, I informed my son that we wouldn’t take his surfboard to Jacksonville on Saturday. Myself, the Chuckster, Ron, and Brett are performing a rite that we’ve done for 4 years now. We’re taking our sons to a football game. We’ll be in Jacksonville Saturday afternoon for the Sunday game between the Jaguars and the Houston Texans. We’re staying in Jacksonville Beach on Saturday.

I was looking forward to this time with my son until he copped an attitude about the news concerning his surfboard. I reminded him (Randy remembers) of what happened the last time we mounted someone’s surfboard on top of my Expedition. Ron’s son Kyle, saw his brand new board go sailing off my car into the middle of “The Beachline.” I had visions of a reoccurrence as we traveled up I-95 for the 2 hour drive to Jacksonville on Saturday. So the result was Steven telling me he would rather not go to the game if he couldn’t take his surfboard.

I informed him that I was prepared to accept his proposal but I wasn’t happy that he valued surfing over spending some quality time with me. So I went to bed last night thinking I had a point to prove to my stubborn son and I was prepared to make it. I wasn’t happy about it emotionally but I figured this might be one of those times that I had to put on my “tough love” hat.

When we got up this morning I was in my “professional but not personal” mode. And then Steven came into my bedroom and told me that he was way out of line last night and he said the words: “I’m sorry Dad.”

I think those words are some of the most important words we should teach our children and our churches. The danger is when we get so caught up in our “position” on some issue or incident that we forget or refuse to bring those words into our thinking when it comes to our relationships.

Is there anybody you need to say “I’m sorry” to today? Don’t wait too long.
I’m glad my stubborn son didn’t. I drove to work with tears in my eyes. Sorry, I’m a softy.

Comments:
Thanks Meowmix. I certainly hope so.
ozylabe (suggestions?)
 
I think ozylabe was an Incan god.

I put a very high value on forgiveness. It is much easier for me to forgive than to ask for it. That's probably pretty normal. I hope I model the ability to say "I'm sorry" to my son. I have said it to him a few times, even though he is probably too young to really understand. But there have been a few times that I have taken work out on him and I felt I needed his little forgiveness. Amazing kid. He always says, "That's okay, daddy."

rehxggr (utter defiance)
 
There's no doubt in my mind that you can't start too early with your children when it comes to them hearing you say "I'm sorry." Your son will benefit from those times you've said that to him.
jrzqqkw (phrase uttered during Mayan Indian game when someone lost their head)
 
It seems that some of our people try to make your statement the default program for preachers. We need to remind our people to be agreeable when they're disagreeing with the preacher.
azxijeib (first prototype of the "Ask Jeeves" website)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?