Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Goals

First things first - This will be my 3rd post for the day.
Has anybody topped that yet? Does anybody care?
As I’ve said in the past, Tuesdays are very busy for the Walker Clan. Barb is usually delivering the food for our church’s Wednesday night dinners at the building around 4:30 – 5pm. I pick up Steven from "voluntary" conditioning for the baseball team around the same time. If we have time we’ll go down to the building to help Mom unload her groceries. We usually have just enough time to eat a quick dinner. Then Steven has to be on Merritt Island for his (sickness) guitar lessons at 6:30 and then its back to the mainland by 7:30 for his pitching lessons.
Tonight was no different except for an unexpected chance meeting. As I was waiting for Steven’s pitching lesson to be over his old manager that I coached with from Little League Majors showed up, Coach Keith.
Side bar – I found out from Steven’s pitching coach (Brian Moore) he tried to walk on to Fresno State’s baseball team in the mid-90’s. He didn’t make it so he ended up playing community college ball somewhere in Orange County. He was then drafted by the Marlins and played minor league ball for them.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch:
Coach Keith was (and still is) the epitome of the book, "The Winning Edge." Keith wanted every advantage possible so he bought his own equipment for our team, we started practicing weeks earlier than the other teams, his practices were textbook with 5 hitting stations and no wasted time each day. Needless to say it was good to be on Coach Keith’s team and if you weren’t on his team you hated us. Steven and David Rowe pitched us to an undefeated regular season and then to the County Championship.
The funny thing is that was 4 years ago and yet Coach Keith remembered (as I do) every detail. He couldn’t wait to shake Steven’s hand when his lesson ended and reminisce for a few minutes. He asked Steven how he was doing at the High School? Steven told him his goal was making the Varsity this year and he was working his butt off to make it happen. You could see Coach Keith’s (and mine) eyes light up. He was always appreciative of Steven’s drive and competitiveness.
It’s funny how the word "goal" came to me today. I was reading Luke 13:31 – 35. Jesus says in verse 32 "…on the third day I will reach my goal." Is this the 3rd day after the crucifixion or is he talking about 3 days after this transpires? If it isn’t 3 days after the crucifixion, then why does it take Jesus 3 days to reach his goal? I guess even for the Lord, driving out demons and healing the sick is hard work?
My fellow blones, what is your take on this? My "goal" is to hear from all of you. Take care.

Comments:
A potential Bulldog, eh? Pretty cool. My goal right now is to sleep. I'll think more about that verse later.

hpiqmojn (the creatures my sleep-deprived dementia is making me see)
 
Thanks for the prayers for Steven's dream. In their first intramual game yesterday he went 1 for 1 with a single (nice shot into left field) and a walk. He also pitched one inning and gave up one hit and no runs.
Also, thanks for the insight on the 3 days comment. When I read that I wondered why not "today", 2 days, or a week?
iidrrc (condition describing one who is pondering a Bible verse)
 
Sorry about that - I'll do it tonight.
umzkspx (term of disgust for one who goes days without checking their home email)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?