Wednesday, November 16, 2005

0 for 2

Actually I'm 0 for 3 if you count my computer. I walked into my room with my computer flashing the curse of not being able to find the operating system. As luck would have it I was scheduled to get a newer Dell on Friday. It's good to be nice to the school's tech guy and bingo, score the newer Dell a couple of days early.

I wish I had a story like Steve's. "Hey guys, a school bus loss control and blasted through my room destroying my computer and half my (Justifiable homicide some days) first period." Maybe not. Any way, does that make me 1 for 4?

My "0 for 2" comment comes as a result of 2 phone calls I made last night. Imagine me in my elder's clothes.

Call #1 -
I decided to call a sister who handed me her church keys this past Sunday evening and stormed out before I could talk to her. She's been mad at the world, the elders, our (really mad at them) preachers, the re-decorated auditorium, and the L.A. (threw that in for Steve) Angels. Jeff and I met with her about 9 months ago. We left her with the direction Jesus gives in Matthew about going to your brother when there is conflict. I asked her if she had heeded this biblical mandate? She hadn't and didn't plan on doing so. I told her I was amazed that someone who claims to have "biblical concerns" would ignore a pretty direct "order" from Jesus himself.

Call #2 -
Called a brother whose wife has moved out and purchased a home of her own. I wanted to encourage him to try and reconcile with his wife if she would let him as well as start coming back to services. His 12 year old son answered the phone. I could hear him tell his son in the background to tell me he was in the shower and he would call me back. It’s 4:08pm and still no call. 0 for 2.
That’s how it goes in ministry some days. Have a good rest of the day.

Comments:
I know you're right but it's still frustrating. Maybe the solution to nights like that are the same as when I have to make too many calls home on misbehaving students. I'll usually tack one or two calls on to the end of such a session where I call parents whose kids are doing really well. They never get those calls, just like VP's never get to meet the good kids.

Tonight, why don't you call a couple of faithful folks and just tell you how much you appreciate them? Just a thought.

bmwqgcv (one of the newer models, I guess)
 
Greg - Thanks for the encouragement. I think the one thing the elder model we both experienced has motivated me to do is to make the call. Keep me in your prayers that I may honor that promise.
Steve- Too weird! I had the very same thoughts about adding a positive call and I almost included them in my blog. I’m sure you’ve heard of Harry K. Wong. I heard him in 1981 (my first year of teaching) at an inservice! It was one of the few I’ve been to that was worth the time. He said he called all of the “good kids” parents to praise their efforts. I used to do that to some extent. I need to start again and also with my “church kids” as well.
oxmxtjoh (x wins the square Peter)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Good thought Randy. "Live long and prosper."
Try to avoid situations that will lead to a tvslxwft.
hkiyui (What I must commit if I misspell "That" again.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?