Saturday, October 22, 2005

Wilma's Monday Blues

If I may alter a term from Jim Rome's "Sport's Jungle" - Hello "Blones."
It's official here in Brevard County, home of the "Space Coast" - no school Monday. Normally I wouldn't griped about an unexpected 3 day weekend. The only problem with this break is that we'll have to make it up with losing a day from our Winter Break.

It looks like we'll feel the effects of Wilma sometime on Monday. Our county is part of the east coast
hurricane watch ordered by the Hurricane Center at 5pm today. We're expected to get tropical to hurricane force winds which means we'll probably lose power as well. We have a large number of residents that live in mobile homes. They may undergo an evacuation order tomorrow. We'll probably hold services tomorrow morning but we'll cancel our evening services. I know you guys are keeping us in your prayers and we really appreciate it. If the storm travels any further north of the current projected track, my son and I may get the privilege of "boarding up" our home again. I have a 2 story home and the 2nd story isn't any fun boarding up.
Hope all of you have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow at your respective churches. Take care.

Comments:
We're hoping the hurricane doesn't hit you. We're hoping the hurricane doesn't hit anyone. salymh
 
Every time I hear or read about Wilma, I send up a prayer for you and yours.

I'm guessing you won't be spending your day off golfing like I did, huh?
 
Hello my blog blones.
Greg, we felt God's call to cancel Sunday evening services since Wilma made landfall as a Category 3 rather than a one. All kidding aside, we Wilma delivered more than what most in the state were expecting.
Thanks for the prayers Brady. We needed them and by the way, welcome back.
No Randy, we couldn't make a Sonny's run due to our cirle being flooded. The water spans the road in front of me from my oak trees to the first line of landscaping in the yard across the street.
My Math Brother, no golf for this water-logged math teacher. We're still waiting to see if we have school on Tuesday.

My two greatest fears were tornadoes and rain. We ended up having to weather both. Wilma touched off several twisters which fortunately for us stayed in town. Our weather-alert radio was pretty busy throughout the night. The massive amount of rain is the most I’ve seen since moving into this home about 8 years ago. Our toilets would not flush (we’re on septic tanks out here) for a while and none of us have had a shower today. Anyone for a group hug?
My father-in-law called me around 10am to tell me that we had received 10 inches of rain since sunrise. He called me back 20 minutes later to tell me that the rain gauge was reading 12 and ½ inches! Now that’s tropical moisture at it’s best.
I had water come in my guest bedroom through a bad seal in the window. I have a wet stain under one corner of the window. If that’s the worst of the damage then we’ve done well.

Sure appreciate your prayers and thoughts. I’ll post some pictures of my water front property tomorrow if we have school. Take care.
By the way, weatherman says we’ll set a record for low temperatures tonight with the low going down to 49!
cojhxit
 
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers meowmix. Feel free to call me anytime. I'll email my cell number to you.
Also, please tell your niece (if they feel like making the 2 to 3 hour ride) that they are welcome to stay at our church in Cocoa should we have to face another hurricane. The name of our church is Central Church of Christ in Cocoa on U.S.1. She can call me if she needs directions. We had several people staying in our basement during Wilma's wrath.
efrditd
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?