Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Water-world

We survived our battle with Hurricane Wilma. A serendipity of our brush with Wilma was some “national recognition” for my hometown, Cocoa, Florida. Now keep in mind that most of the footage of the flooding was shot in my neck of the woods, West Cocoa. In West Cocoa we pride ourselves on big trucks, pit bulls, attacks by wild boars, and the extreme sport of ditch surfing. I’ll post some pictures of my son and his two friends from the youth group going through their paces.

All kidding aside, there was a point where my wife and I became extremely concerned about the amount of rain (2 and ½ inches in 20 minutes at one point) that was falling. The thoughts of having our septic tank back up or having flood water come into our home was quite un-nerving. All in all some 14 inches of rain fell on our neighborhood. The county came by and put a sign in the entrance to our circle that read “Slow – No Wake Zone.”

A great amount of the water had subsided by this morning and we were able to drive out of our circle. There were still several neighborhoods off of Friday Road (our main drag to State Road 524) that were still quite flooded even this morning.

My brothers and sister, don’t under-estimate the power of prayer. We felt your prayers yesterday and were comforted by them. Now for some pictures:

This is looking towards our home from 2 homes over. Where is the street?


This is looking out my front door towards Monty's house. The sidewalk at the bottom of the picture is just a few feet away from my front door.


This is looking left and west from our "yard."


This is a picture of my son Steven doing some ditch surfing West Cocoa / 14 inches of rain style.


This is picture of the West Cocoa Boys. From the left - Matthew (the Chuckster's son), Zack (Brett - our Deacon of Pain's son) and my son - Steven. The shadow is yours truly.

Comments:
Thanks meowmix. We need to work on that reunion. You guys are invited to Florida after Nov. 30th, the end of hurricane season.
idknf
 
I think you're dead on with that comment Randy.
diuzgn
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?