Monday, October 03, 2005

Table - Front and Center?

Last night during a meeting at our church, of folks who were interested in helping with a Fall Festival, a note was given to me along with my fellow Elder Jeff, our ministers, and our Deacon of Worship, Ray. The note was from one of our members who isn’t happy about the recent move of our communion table from the front to the back of our auditorium.

We moved our communion table from the front of our auditorium to the back a couple of weeks ago. Initially the main reason was one of aesthetics. We recently re-decorated the front of our auditorium and the result was it made the communion table (40 years old) stand out in a negative way. It needs to be re-finished or re-painted due to numerous scuff marks and just the wear of time. We also purchased a clear podium and that combined with moving the table opened up the front of our auditorium. And as I last reported, most of our members didn’t have any problem with the move. For them the table is not part of any ritual they go through as they concentrate on what the Lord has done for all of us during our communion service.

In fact, during our last “Family Talk,” a little less than 10 out of 80 people in attendance indicated they had a problem with the move when Jeff asked for their feelings on the issue. Hence the subject of my blog.

In the note given to me, the following rational was used. If 80% (more like 88% but who’s counting?) of the people in the meeting indicated the move of the table didn’t bother them, then that must mean they’re ambivalent either way. And since they’re ambivalent, the 20% (again, more like 12% but who’s counting) who are passionate about the placement of the table should have their wishes (nice way of saying “get their way”) honored.

Now I don’t know about you but this passion for the “communion table” disturbs me. I usually try to err on the side of compromise (and maybe to a fault) but in this case I can’t help but think we’re dealing with idolatry. Please tell me if I have a “thinking error” but to me, if one has to have a communion table to help them remember the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, isn’t that person focusing on an object that has nothing to do with what the Lord commanded his disciples to do on the first day of the week?

My first instinct is to keep the table in it’s present position. And I hope that I’m coming to that decision not so I can show someone who is “in charge,” but rather, to correct a thinking error in a brother. Let me know what you think. I need input.

Comments:
This is one of those "rubber meets the road" issues for some of us in the churches of Christ. In my mind the issue is when do I (as an elder) "give in" to folks playing (as I call it) the Romans 14 card, or go with my experience, which is when you give in to these types of demands, those that our doing the demanding don't stop with that particular issue. I appreciate the input meowmix.
 
Keith Davis here from Creekside in North Alabama. I am a good friend of Greg's. I live in the midst of the "buckle" of the Bible belt and have seen over and over in my lifetime these kinds of arguments and problems. I just wish we(which includes me) could just get over ourselves and really see what the real issues are. My question to those against the table moving is, "Does God really care?" For that matter that question could be asked to those who are in favor of the move. Let's help each other understand that Jesus needs to be the focus--not tables, buildings, doctrines, etc. It's all about Him.
I know this must be frustrating to you, but be of good cheer because all of God's children have "hang-ups." Thank God for grace!
 
Hi Keith. I'm Greg's friend from Florida and I was at Muz's funeral. You did an outstanding job at her funeral and I've always loved the Creekside Church. Thank you for your comments and you're dead on! I guess thats why this "table envy" has me confused because like you said, its not about us, its about God. Maybe we'll see you at Zoe. Take care.
 
I know what you mean Greg. It's no wonder that the Lord didn't give more specific instructions or comments on the various things we fuss and argue over. Can you imagine how much more ridiculous we could get if we had some specifics in scripture, say about the observance of the Lord’s Supper? I think the Lord knew our propensity to focus in more on the “form” and not the function would get us into even more problems than we already have.
 
Couldn't be happier that we got rid of our altar at College. The next Communion goal for me is to work on the attitudes while we are taking it.

I'm all for quiet contemplation of what Jesus did for us, but why is there no time for joy and celebration? Why am I discouraged to talk to those around me about what my Lord has done? Why is it about death and burial 52 1/4 weeks out of the year and never about resurrection?

I'm working on smiling during Communion. (Boy, imagine the note that brother would pass me about THAT!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?