Monday, October 17, 2005

Rainy Days and Extremes

Hello my Blog brothers and sisters. Speaking of early (like Greg’s blogs) starts, my Sunday started at 3am. It all started when our youth group (and my son Steven) went camping in the Key’s this past Friday. That night, a typical Keys thundershower came through and drenched our intrepid campers and their gear. Fortunately Saturday was sunny and windy enough to dry out most of the gear. However as the day grew to a close, our chaperones could see another thunderstorm coming in the distance. So at 5:00 the teens were polled and they decided to start back to Brevard County. At 2:30am they arrived back in Cocoa. Brett, our youth deacon, gave Steven and two of his partners in crime a ride to our home where they slept off their Keys Retreat. We were thankful all arrived back safely. As we all know especially considering what happened to Mike Cope’s son, a safe and uneventful return from a youth event isn’t always a given.

Sunday at Central was a good day. Don had a good message during worship and my “Mayberry Bible Study” Sunday School class was enjoyable. I heard many complements during the day about worship as well as Sunday School. And then there was Sunday evening when we went to the other extreme. Now this pendulum swing could have been my fault since I was the speaker and my subject was “mercy.” Anyway, afterwards I was approached by one of our older members. Greg knows this gentleman whose first name can also be a greeting.

Question – Why is it when someone starts a statement off by saying, “Now I don’t mean to complain but….,” you know they’ve come to do what, complain! This man, “Mr. Greeting,” was upset because we used the word “Messiah” on our sign facing the highway. I asked Mr. Greeting, what could possibly be wrong with using the word “Messiah” on our sign. Mr. Greeting said that most of our people (I hope he’s wrong) don’t know who the Messiah is? That was my answer, “I hope you’re wrong!” Next complaint.

You “professionals” out there, my hat is off to you. Isn’t it amazing that you can have a number of folks walk away from the same worship service or church, and some are happy and some become, well, aggravating? I hope you don’t get the feeling that I’m frustrated because I’m not. In fact, let me tell you the (my apologies to Paul Harvey) rest of the story. I’ve come up with an answer to complaints. In fact I used it last night. I asked Mr. Greeting, “How does that sign get in the way of our mission to reach the lost of this community?” And that is going to be my standard answer for now on to complainers. Should we not filter everything we say and do by the commission that Christ gave us?

Comments:
Remember the 70's song:
"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign. Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this, don’t do that, can you read the signnnnnnnnn.
 
I see it both ways. I see the wisdom in Warren's stance on change for change sake. Those of us in leadership (of any organization)know how hard it is to get people to change.
By the same token, we know that certain traditions and practices bring identity and security to folks. I guess the challenge is to find the right balance.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?