Thursday, October 27, 2005

One Family - Different Versions

First my fellow "blones," I ask that you pray for my brother Ray (deacon of worship) who is serving with the Florida National Guard in Miami as well as the people on south Florida. He was able to call his wife yesterday to give her some details of their hurricance recovery efforts:
1. Estimation of power restoration in the Miami area run from 2 to 3 weeks.
2. They are being housed in the Orange Bowl. If you've ever been to the Orange Bowl you know that the surrounding neighborhood isn't the best place to be day or night.
3. The people that Ray and the National Guard are trying to serve are becoming very impatient with their lack of services.
4. Ray said that he and his troops had to draw their weapons to maintain crowd control as they tried to issue ice and food.
5. At one point they were spat on by the hostile crowd.
Ray said that he needs prayers for wisdom and patience as they will probably be down in Miami for at least 2 weeks.

Next - Last night I sat in a class that is watching a series of DVD's on Parenting by Dr. Kevin Leman. My interest was sparked when I heard him say, “Children are hedonistic little suckers.” Can’t argue with that kind of scholarship.

After the tape we were led in a discussion on how to help your child to feel like they “belong” to the family. Someone mentioned how their family went camping (not in the Keys) and through the process of setting up camp, everyone having a job, and all the activities you can do with a family when you’re camping; helped each member of the family to feel like they had a place within the family. Then Stacy spoke up.

Stacy is a single mom with a 10 year old named Tyler. She spoke about the demands on her to support the two of them and for the most part she didn’t have the money or the time to take Tyler camping. She said in her type of family they improvised camping trips. She said it wasn’t unusual for her and Tyler to set up a tent in their living room and watch outdoor type movies.

First, as Stacy told her version of family it melted my heart. As she was talking I asked God to honor this family and to put a hedge around them, to protect them. Stacy is doing the best she can with her version of family. It kind of tore me up to know that there isn't a "man" in their home to "protect" them. It reminded me of the same feelings I had for my mother when my father passed away.

I ask that you say a prayer for Stacy, her son Tyler, and the rest of our “families” that our churches contain and hopefully minister to for the Glory of the Lord. God bless you guys.

Comments:
A good friend of mine became a single mom and I tried to help her out as often as possible. I will never forget the day I echoed similar thoughts to yours. I remarked how great she was doing, how hard she was working, and how tough it must be to be both mother and father to her son. She smiled, more than a little wearily, and said she appreciated that.

"But I don't have to be both mother and father," she said. "He has a Father."

I never heard the capital "F" more obviously.

She was right, too. Those children of single moms are in the best care and under the best protection in the world. Be sure Stacy knows that, huh?
 
You got it Steve - I'll pass your words along.
And Doris will certainly be in our prayers meowmix.
ucolc
 
As with any church there is always room for improvement when it comes to ministry. I can say that Stacy and Tyler have been surrounded by a group of ministry minded folks who have taken them under their wing. Proof of this ministry came to me at Bible Camp this past summer. Tyler came to camp for the very first time this past summer. He ended up being a candidate for our “Mr. CFBC (Central Florida Bible Camp) Award” as a 9 year old. For being a first time camper he was not only well-adjusted but a pleasure to be around at his young age.
I would directly attribute this to the help Stacy has received as well as her attitude like the one James mentions in James 5:8 - 9.
lobai
zsgzl
 
Thank you for reminding me to look around for our own "Stacy and Tyler" folks in our own neighborhood & church.
 
No problem Sandra. I'm glad we have people at our church who are sensitive to their needs.
jybgn
 
Thanks Randy. A big bonus of our blog community is getting to know you better.
amiwltvk
lwlrkdet
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?