Thursday, October 13, 2005

Keys and The Key

Hello my blog brothers and sisters. Son #1 (one and only) is heading down to the Keys with our youth group tomorrow for a weekend retreat. I can’t think of too many places that would be more beautiful (in the southeast at least) than camping out on Bahia Kay Key. The water is so clear that you can actually see fish swimming in the water as you travel across the “Overseas Highway Bridges” that connects the individual Keys. Unfortunately I cannot chaperone this trip due to a “Teachers’ Workday / Teacher Inservice” tomorrow. The kids are off and when students are not present in the building its almost like having a holiday! If you get a chance remember Steven, our chaperones, and our youth group as they make the 6 hour trip to the Keys and back.

I had an interesting conversation with my fellow elder Jeff last night. We were greatly encouraged by the Zoe Conference last week. We were encouraged by the worship and by the fact that in many ways we feel our home church (Central) has made great strides to reach out to the unchurched in our community as well as starting down the path to be more missional in our intent. Of course, as with any church there are aspects that need prayer and work. With us, we have a very small group (5 out of 300) of disgruntled members who are openly spreading discord with anyone who will listen. This group has been openly rude and attacking in their demeanor towards our ministers and our deacons. Jeff and I met with one of these folks, a sister who is in the middle of this discord several months ago. She ignored our suggestion to follow the model of conflict resolution in Matthew 18 and instead continues to spread discord to anyone who will listen. She has been openly rude to our Deacon of Worship in just the past few days.

So Jeff and I are praying over a possible meeting with this group. Our intent is to communicate to them in love, that disagreement and having differences in opinions is healthy to the Body of Christ. These differences and disagreements help us to grow, to re-examine ourselves, and our beliefs in light of Scripture. What is unhealthy and can be a cancer to the Body is sowing discord, rumors, and innuendo as well as being just plain rude, something the world accepts and fosters.

Here’s my question for you – what would you tell this group if you met with them? I’m thinking something along the lines of: 1. If you need to confess your sin to us, Jeff and I will gladly hear your confession and pray with you. 2. We expect you to have a “sweet spirit” about you as move about the body and that would include when you disagree with something. 3. We asked that prayer would be your first response when you feel that you are getting upset. 4. Practice the Matthew 18 model when you have conflicts within the Body. 5. And finally, if you can’t abide by this you may want to consider another place of worship.

I know #5 might seem harsh but these dear Brothers and Sisters seem very unhappy in their present state and they are attempting to bring others into their un-happiness. As always, I’m interested in your responses. Keep Jeff and me in your prayers.


I thought I'd throw in one final Zoe picture. This is a picture of the "hospitality tent" outside the "Great Hall" at Woodmont. From the left is my wife Barb, neighbor Sally, Ann, her brother Steve who is a Praise Team leader in his church, Therese, and her husband and my fellow elder, Jeff.

Comments:
Another reason to visit us this summer. We can make the Keys trip and you can make the homemade doughnuts as well. Thanks for the insight. By the way, my intent in starting the meeting with that offer was to acknowledge how open these folks have been with their attacks. However, you’re probably right on #1.
 
I am of the opinion that it's not a horrible thing to say to somebody that they may find what they are looking for in another church. It has to be said very carefully, but it's the truth.

I have to say, between this stuff, and the table move, and the divorced deacons...sheesh, what kind of a church are you RUNNING there? I know an umpire who'd fit right in.

The whole divorce issue really burns me, but of course it hits me where I live. I too am divorced and, as of now, unable to serve my church in any official capacity. Seems ironic: I'm asked to teach and preach, but when nominated as a deacon was told that "the church isn't ready for that." One of those things that makes me scratch my head.

Sheesh. Between baseball, talking about my dad and my divorce, this blog seems to me my catharsis center. Thanks, brother!
 
You're welcome my Math Brother. I would highly recommend to you, to your elders, and to your church to read Olan Hicks’ materials on “divorce and re-marriage.” He is our fellowship’s foremost expert on this subject in my opinion. The turning point for our church was when we had Olan speak on this subject for an entire weekend. However, I wouldn’t wait too long. Olan must be close to 80 years old so he won’t be with us much longer.
And by the way, we would even accept the "trap-calling" ump as well. However, I don't we could let him be a deacon or elder! Be at peace my Brother and hang in there.
 
I am amazed at the number of “horror stories” that have occurred in our brotherhood at the hands of our own brethren concerning this issue. I was a deacon at a church for 20 years which unfortunately contributed to this “blood bath.” I remember in an elders / deacons meeting, an elder declaring that one of our members (his former daughter-in-law) who was divorced, re-married, and had a child by her new husband, would only be right with God if she divorced her present husband, gave up their child for adoption, and went back to his pot-smoking / sorry son. I couldn’t help but think of that verse in I Timothy that talks about those who forbid marriage will be a sign of the end times.

Fortunately the Lord led me to Central where we have thrown off that kind of false / hurtful doctrine.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?