Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Love This Building

I went walking with my neighbor, friend, and Deacon of Facilities, Monty. Correct that – walking with Monty is more like running but I’m not whining. It was interesting to walk around our circle that less than 24 hours before (see previous blog for pictures) was more of a river than a street. In fact, the entrance to our street was guarded by a sign that read "Slow – No Wake Zone." I think I just had an "Angels (sorry Steve) Doughnuts Post / flash-back event."
Any way, during our walk/run, Monty mentioned the problem we’re having with the young lady that is currently cleaning our building. The previous couple that cleaned our building ($600 a month) ended up leaving our church over biblical issues. Their biblical answer ended up being not to worship anywhere but that’s another story.
Their replacement is the mother of one of our teens. Monty gave her a walk-through when she applied for the job and even gave her a list of things that needed to be cleaned each week. He emphasized the fact that our building has 5 (from basement to youth suite) floors and 13 restrooms which would probably require a minimum of 6 hours a week to do a decent job. To Monty’s credit he even emphasized the ministry aspect of her job. We want folks to take pride in their personal ministries and to go above and beyond the call of duty since we should do all things unto the Lord.
Unfortunately the result has been at most, 3 hours of week and a drop in her attendance to services. By the way, before anyone says it yes, if you want to get rid of anyone at your church just send them to us and we’ll put them in charge of cleaning the building!
Monty told me that there’s another sister at our church who just quit her job at Wally-world and is now spending time at the building doing odd jobs. She has asked him for things to do and has stated, "I love the building and I want to do whatever I can to make it better." Now I know loving the building sounds a bit "hokie" (apologies to V-Tech fans) but consider her attitude towards ministry. Perhaps those of us in "leadership" should be more intentional about looking for folks to fill voids in ministry who live out their grace everyday by the way they do anything for the Lord. That’s a good lesson for me as well. Take care blones.

Comments:
Praise God for people who see a need, feel called to react, and do whatever it is that needs to be done.

I think that leadership fails when we forget to encourage. That is where we loose people to these tasks of church work that seem insignificant, but are vitally nessecary. May God bless you as your encourage.
 
Yes Greg, I remember those days of cleaning the building at Rockledge. It was a joy to be serving the Lord in that manner and it was even more of a blessing to be on the same team with Monty, "Mr. 409!"
I suggested the same idea for Central and was met with the "done that / didn't work" comment. Hey, is that novel for most churches - an elder who doesn't "get his way?"
Keith- great point about leadership encouraging the flock. We're getting ready to start an ambitious involvement program for our members. I’ll blog more about it later.
Meowmix- trust me, I understand your feelings. I left Rockledge after 20 years of service. I buried both my father and mother while at "the Rock." I drive by that building everyday on my way to work and it always jars memories to the forefront of my mind.
Have a good day blones.
fijsfg
 
As my southern Baptist Pastor used to say when I was growing up, "Some of you are parking one someone else's nickel!"
He wasn't always referring to money when he made that statement to the church.
ykqzvnv
 
In our worship meeting yesterday, we were going in circles trying to plan a lesson that we were then going to ask two of our brothers to deliver. After trying to drive out of the same rut for 10 or 15 minutes, somebody said, "Well, why don't we ask THEM what they want to do?"

Oh. Yeah.

It's too easy to forget that each member of the body has a different function and that they are just as capable (more) of performing that function than the "leadership."

I hope God works this out to make it easy for you.
 
Thanks Steve. I think He is trying to do it. My prayer is our current cleaning lady will listen to my Brother Monty's advice concerning her job vs. lack of attendance as a sign to gracefully quit. This will allow the other sister to step into the job or should I say ministry as it is meant to be.
kwmnhzu
 
We have an office personnel situation where the person sees it as a job only. Attendance on Sunday is off and on. The bottom line is she doesn't feel invested in what she does. It's just a job.

The problem is, it hurts all of us...the ministers, the ministry leaders, the church.

Every single job is important...preaching, singing, cleaning, locking up, communion prep, working in Nursery, teaching children, whatever it is, it's vital and we need to know that and understand how important each job is in the overall picture.
 
Well said Sandra. The highest complement Paul paid to the church was when we said "the church is the body of Christ." We are all part of that body and all equally important to the cause of Christ. To borrow from the military, "It's more than a job."
nupqyd
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?