Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hard Worker

First, I have to blog this:
Nanny boo-boo - I beat you Greg. I know, I’m blogging childishly but I couldn’t help myself. Greg just blows me away with his early posts especially considering our coastal positions. Greg gives new meaning to the term “West Coast Offense.”

In keeping with the theme of being “early,” earlier today I picked up Steven from “voluntary” conditioning for the High School Baseball Team. The Varsity coach had the team running the football stadium steps. As I was watching one of Steven’s coaches from last year walked up and started talking with me. I asked him how Steven was doing and he said the following things:
1. He told me that Steven was a hard worker. He was pleased with his physical development over the summer and during the fall “voluntary conditioning.” I can vouch for his “physical development.” The last few times we had a “voluntary” wrestling match gave me proof that the “hedonistic little sucker” (see previous post and Dr. Leman) is getting stronger. The only advantages I have on him now are height, weight, and a propensity to fight dirty when defeat is at hand! As I was saying, you always like to hear from other adults that your child is a “hard worker.” Of course sometimes I want to ask if they’re talking about the same 15 year-old that I live with.
2. The coach told me that Steven has a great attitude and isn’t a complainer. He said it didn’t matter what they asked Steven to do last year, play 3rd (not one of his “natural positions”), short-stop, 2nd base, or pitch – he was always willing to give 100 % no matter where they put him.

There you have it; a shame-less proud father bragging about his son. Trust me, I know my son (like his Dad) can be a knuckle-head but so was I at 15. I’m just thankful to the Lord for giving me a glimpse of the man Steven might become one day.
The rest of this blog is mainly for meowmix. I’m going to post some pictures of our 2 cats. If they look stressed out they had good reason. I took these pictures while Wilma was pounding us with 60mph winds and 14 inches of rain. Have a good weekend my fellow blones.



This is our problem solver - Buddy. I had a hard time taking this picture because he was in one of his licking modes. That's right, this cat will lick me like a dog, over and over. You might say he has great taste.


This is our girl, Cloe. She is a sweetie but don't try to pick her up. I coined the phrased "Hell-cat" the day I made that mistake. It's pretty embarrassing when you have to call the vet to cancel your appointment because a 3 pound cat just "kicked my butt (singular version of an old red neck saying) and took my name."


This is Cloe on our pool patio at the height of Hurricane Wilma. You can see my son standing behind her. She wants inside the house and now! It's O.K. meowmix, we accommodated her wishes.

Comments:
Meowmix - Our first cat (Taffy) that lived to be 19 was like your attack cat. His favorite maneuver was to sit on the arm of the couch pretending to be (pun intended) “catatonic.” Then at the right time he would pounce on your arm or leg. One of my friend labeled him the “schizoid – cat.”

I think you’re dead on concerning your comments about Steven and his behavior away from home. I can remember being like that at his age. I would help folks in our neighborhood with yard work and then come home and fuss about having to take out our garbage.

Have a good weekend.
respd
 
Buddy looks alot like our cat, Tabby. Except both of his eyes work. One of Tabby's...well...not so much.

Thanks for sharing the positive notes. 15 year olds do much better when we're not around. I've never been the father of one, but I've known a couple thousand of 'em.

khiga!
 
Thanks Steve. Hope you have a good weekend. The baseball team has a "work day" at the field tomorrow at 8am. I'll be "whipping out" my straight shaft weed wacker tomorrow.
Happy "hjaid."
 
Childish? And I was thinking of sharing my cheese cake with you when we come out this summer.
gnhtam
 
Ah, a day on the field. Sounds nice. We'll be driving 3 1/2 hours to my niece's engagement party and then back home because I'm preaching Sunday. Good incentive to get the sermon done early though.

waaxambo (which, I think, is what you get when you chase Mr. Miagi around a tree)
 
Be careful on the drive and enjoy the party. Our preacher asked me to run the computer again on Sunday. Our Deacon of Worship is still down in Miami with the Florida National Guard. I'm surprised I was asked again. Last Sunday as Don (our preacher)started his sermon, my knee accidently hit the power button to the console which caused the screen to start retracting. Don told the church it was the fastest he had ever had the plug pulled on him by the elders. As I was scrambling on my knees to find this button that was so easily found by me right knee, I yelled out I was trying to accommodate the people who felt that services were lasting too long. Elders can be a pain.
May God bless your sermon on Sunday.
jjbqgtr
 
I always thought this blog was the cat's meow.
juhaufgx
 
Judy - Nothing wrong with flashbacks if they're about Fridays! You guys all know the old joke about the 3 greatest benefits of teaching -
June, July, and August!
kkmmi
(Word Verification contemplating the reason why I inserted such a joke?
 
I pine for the days when I actually had August off. We go back now around the 12th.

ojdary
 
Same here - Teachers now report back to school around August 1st. I feel sorry for the P.E. teachers, many who are outside during the 2 hottest months in Florida, August and September.
sukgsfmo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?