Monday, October 17, 2005

Becoming Your Parent

I had one of those moments with Steven today that caused me to think my Dad was probably laughing at me. I grew up in the 70’s, you know, the decade of leisure suits, bell bottoms, and of course, long hair. My desire to have long hair back then very much clashed with my "Sargent in the Army" father who liked hair "high and tight." I can remember thinking I’ll never make my son cut his hair. You know, "power to the people" and "can you dig it" kind of thoughts.
Well, some 25 years later my father must be laughing at me because today I had Steven cut his hair much to his displeasure. The difference here was that I was able to lay it off on the Baseball Coach at Cocoa High. He told the boys last week that they needed to get their hair cut and start looking like ball players or start braiding it. After my wife turned down Steven’s request for braiding, he realized that he needed it cut. He still wasn’t happy and I had to "push" him just a bit but nevertheless, he walked out of the "salon" (now Sgt. Walker Sr. isn’t smiling, sorry Dad, it’s the new millenium) with the same look I had on my face after the 70’s when I had my hair cut. And so I found myself becoming my father with my son.
Here’s a question my blog brothers and sister, can you recall a time or have you entered that strange zone that I have entered, where you have become your father or mother to your child? Let’s hear it out there.
Love you guys.

Comments:
I'm glad. I could hear it now, "But Dad, what about Johnny Damon?" Of course I could reply with, "Johnny and his hair didn't make it to the ALCS!"
 
Thank you for qualifying that as the ALCS and not the World Series. I'm taking my comfort in getting that far.

I seldom hear my father come out of me when it comes to my son, and never when it comes to discipline. My mom was the disciplinarian, and I hear her voice constantly. The most recent was, "I'll give you something to cry ABOUT!" There should be a 1-800-therapy number for moments like that.
 
Steve, good idea for another blog: Who was the disciplinarian in your family growing up and who is the disciplinarian in your family now? I know with me it was mostly my mother since my Dad was gone with Army and then later National Guard duties. However, Dad was the big hammer that Mom could drop at any time.
 
Randy, Our District filter is apparently stopping all "internet email." You can send the material to my home email at:
cwinwc@yahoo.com
Thanks for your help.
By the way, do you remember what Greg said to you at Zoe when we finished singing the song that repeats the line "there's no God like Jehovah" mulitple times?
I told my son this story and he just howled.
Greg asked you why we had to repeat that line so many times? You gave Greg that "Greg look" you give so often and said, "Greg, weren't you listening? There's no God like Jehovah!"
By the way, to show how perceptive my son is even though he acts like an un-interested teen at times, he had an interesting take on you when you visited us. When I told him that story he laughed and said that you were a funny guy. He then said that you were acting (his word) “uptight” during your visit. I haven’t shared anything about our conversation but I thought it was interesting that he picked up on that.
You, Beth, Madison, and Reese as well as your ministry are in my prayers. Take care.
 
Funny you should mention the problem with disrespect and kids. Our Principal (uh, uh, uh, uh, - Greg knows him) made an annoucement to the student body the other day telling them that he was concerned about the level of disrespect that he was noticing between students and staff. He said that it wouldn't be tolerated. We'll see. Nothing gets my goat faster than a disrespectful kid including my own. Thankfully those times are the exception rather than the norm.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?