Friday, September 30, 2005

"Sick"

My son Steven has always been in love with baseball. He’s played and enjoyed the sport since he was 4, “league age” 5. Steven’s birthday is May (feel free to send gifts) 29th which by the “old” (just changed this year) Little League rules always put him not turning his actual playing age until the season was over. So he’s always been a bit smaller than most of the other players but he’s made up for that with God-given bat speed, speed on the bases, and a good glove. The guy I coached with when Steven was “league age 12” brought in a pitching (Brian) coach (a local minor league pitcher) that worked with the boys all season long. Steven developed a nasty “football” curve ball that together with our other “#1 pitcher,” pitched our team to the league and county championships.

Steven pitched all through Juniors and last year on our J.V. team as a freshman in high school. Our varsity team went through a coaching change this year and it appears that we may not have a pitching coach. I decided to call Brian to see if he would work with Steven again. Brian has since retired from baseball and now he travels all over Central Florida working with kids for the going rate of $30 for a half hour. I knew I should have been a pitching coach!

Initially, Brian didn’t remember Steven or me. Can you believe someone wouldn’t remember me after 4 years? Any way, I took Steven to his first lesson with Brian. Brian had him throw some long toss and then he had him pitch while he caught. After about 10 pitches he gave me a radar gun to clock his speed. His fast ball was a consistent 73 and his curve was 66. On one pitch I only registered 39mph. When I yelled out that number Brian promptly told me that I need the let go of the trigger because I had just clocked his throw back to Steven! Opps.

After a few more pitches Brian stopped Steven and called me over to him. He told me that Steven wasn’t using any of his lower body. He said that fact and the fact that he was still throwing in the low 70’s made him believe that he could get his fast ball into the 80’s by the start of this season. Of course, you always wonder if the old “chiropractic / after 20 treatments you’ll be 50% better approach” (my apologies if anyone is a chiropractor or has one in the family) is being used but in this case I had a history with Brian so I felt confident in his honesty. Oh, he used a post-modern phrase to describe his curve ball. He said his curveball was “sick.” Roughly translated I believe that means “really good.” Brian said with his late-breaking curve ball he needed a fast ball in the 80’s to set it up.

It felt good to hear what you hope is an unbiased source seeing some potential in your kid. I’ll keep you updated on Steven’s progress.

Comments:
Surely (I know, don't call you "Shirley.") you don't think I was defaming P.Y and et al.
 
Also, if you insist on delving in innuendo and unfounded rumors you’ll be hearing from my law firm of “Engulf and Devour.” (Name courtesy of Mel Brook’s movie – “Silent Picture.”)
 
Field of Dreams is the classic sport / feel good about life movie. I love it as well.
 
Envy is bad. Envy is wrong.

Besides, my boy is only 4. He might have a sick curveball too. I tried for a few weeks to get him to throw lefty but it didn't work out.

These words our students use tend to creep into our vocabulary, don't they? I knew it was bad when I came home one night and told my wife I had "a grip of work to do."
 
As our students would say, "I feel you."
Enjoy the young age of your son and baseball. Some of the best memories I have is coaching Steven in "T-Ball" and "Coach-Pitch." Although the "Coach-Pitch" was a bit stressful when you're trying to throw a pitch that the batter "can" hit. Just didn't seem natural. Of course, pumping your fist on the mound after you struck out one of your own players / 6 year olds wouldn't seem natural as well. Not to mention the wrath of the boy's Mama.
 
Another classic baseball movie, "Major League."
 
"I ask Jo-Buu to come."

Oh man, I read that while my class was taking a quiz and almost fell out of my chair.
 
I'm laughing during my planning period.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?