Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Lost

First of all, props to Greg for the idea for this blog and more props to Greg for installing more links to my blog.

What is the largest or most costly thing you’ve lost in your lifetime? Let me tell you about my “lost.” Yesterday, after a day of “touching the future” (educational jargon for dealing with middle school students) I had to pick up my son Steven from weight-lifting at Cocoa High. Steven is going through the “voluntary” torture; I mean conditioning for those trying out for the Varsity Baseball Team.

As a side item, if you remember, say an occasional prayer for my son. As a freshman last year he nearly made the Varsity according to the coaches who spoke to me. They said the one thing that held him back was his size. He ended up having a productive J.V. season where he pitched and, played 3rd and short.

Anyway, I picked up Steven at 5pm. We drove home so he could take a quick shower. He had to be at guitar (sickness) lessons at 6 pm on Merritt Island. This meant I would be driving against the Space Center traffic as they headed home from work.

Then I remembered President Bush’s call for Americans to drive less. So I called my wife who was delivering the food for tonight’s church meal at our building. I told her we would pick her up since the building was on the way to guitar (sickness) lessons and she had our Honda which is far more gas efficient than my Ford Expedition. We arrived at the church building around 5:40pm. We met Barb and we switched cars to honor the President’s wishes.

I put it in “Altamonte Springs” (Ask Greg if you want more information) mode and headed off for Merritt Island. We arrived at the Guitar (sickness) Store right at 6pm. We dropped Steven off for his half hour lesson and drove off to kill some time. I wanted to see the “new” Little League fields on the Island (which thrilled my wife, not ) (you should have been with me Steve) so off we went.

We arrived back at the Guitar (sickness) Store right at 6:30 to pick up Steven. The problem was Steven’s lessons didn’t start until 6:30! That’s right; I gave my wife and son a free “NASCAR experience” for nothing. Steven’s guitar teacher had written the wrong time on the slip of paper he gave Steven last week. We switched to the new time (from 4pm) to accommodate Steven’s “voluntary” conditioning and pitching lessons. So we had another half hour to kill and believe it or not, I couldn’t talk Barb into going back to the “new” Little League fields again! I wanted to read from Eph. 5 to Barb but I don’t think she would have connected being “submissive” to her husband with a second trip to the “new” Little League fields.

So it was off to our Super Target to kill another 30 minutes. Little did we realize our stress level would rise with this trip. When it was time to leave Target, we tried to purchase some items only to find that our debit card was being rejected. This always makes you a little nervous since we live in the wonderful world of “identity theft.” So we left the items with the good folks at Target and drove back to the Guitar (sickness) Store to pick up Steven. We went from there to B.J.’s Wholesale Club because they had an ATM and Barbara wanted to check our account. She came out of B.J.’s with no answers. The ATM would not allow Barb to check our account and it usually did. So we drove back to Cocoa to use the ATM at our Credit Union. Barb was able to withdraw some money but even the Credit Union’s ATM wouldn’t let us access our account information.

We decided to skip dinner out and head straight home to check our account on line. When we arrived home we had good news and bad news.

Good news: Our account was fine. Seems the Credit Union was doing some kind of diagnostic on their system which was causing the problem.

Bad news: Ah, the subject of our Blog; It seems I misplaced a 4000 pound Ford Expedition! As we drove up to an empty driveway I asked my lovely wife, “Honey, where is my Expedition?” It was still sitting in our church Parking Lot and by now it was 8:30pm! Would you call that a senior moment, misplacing a (as they said on an episode of MASH) “motor ve-hick-le?”

O.K. my blog companions, fess up; what is the biggest (like 4000 pounds) or most costly thing you’ve ever lost or misplaced?

Come on you “senior wannabes,” lend me your memories.

Comments:
Yes, yes "Mr. Sunset Blvd. / hello Parker Center / is this the way to Malibu" Sir.
 
I guess you could say I misplaced my car, but I think the guy who stole it and left it on the RR tracks should be blamed more than I.

They're not big, but I did lose my keys once. A good friend called and I said I couldn't talk...I was looking for my keys. I had been looking for a couple of hours and had someplace that I was waaaay late for. He said he was an expert at such things and had me walk from place to place in my apartment. I was losing patience and about to hang up when he asked me if I picked up my mail on the way in. Yeah, but they weren't in the keyhole, I had checked there already. He asked me if I usually throw my junk mail away right at the mailbox and BING! on went the light.

Yup, I had kept the junk mail and thrown away my keys. My friend's name is Kevin. He is a genius.
 
Colonel Potter, Rizzo, and myself are proud of your confession. Thanks for the pictures from Meowmix as well as Josh and his girlfriend. For some reason our District’s filter isn’t allowing email from gmail or yahoo mail to enter into our school’s server.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?