Tuesday, August 16, 2005

“Compromise” – Good for the Soul

As a follow up to my last blog (and trying to do the Christian thing) I contacted my 73 year old friend (Hy) to find out more about his "resignation" from the all important (my apologies to my "Pulpit friends") ministry of "announcements." Having been given a day to think about the events of this past Sunday he (and I) had mellowed somewhat. He still didn’t want to use our hand-held mic as well as come out from around our huge (archaic) podium and stand on the same level with the pews when making announcements. He didn’t object to the idea he just said that the thought made him uncomfortable. He was afraid that if he tried such a technique he would come across as a fake.
Having given this situation some thought as well, I had come to the conclusion that there had to be a way for our Deacon of Worship to accomplish what he was trying to do as well as use Hy. Being the college graduate (or as my Uncle from Kentucky would jokingly say, "I are one.") that I am, I came up with a "creative" solution. We would compromise for the sake of a Brother in Christ. I asked Hy to agree to continue to do the announcements along with 3 other men who would take turns, and to do them in the manner that he was most comfortable with. Makes me want to type (I guess I just did) "I are smart." Or perhaps I’m just smart enough to listen to the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart on how to treat a Brother.
I hope what we accomplished with the help of the Holy Spirit, was our continued movement to be a more seeker-friendly church as well as encouraging a 73 year old Christian who still wants to do his part in the Kingdom.

Comments:
You're right meowmix, Randy's point on knowing when to compromise and when to confront is the key to any organization, much less the church, being able to move forward without being paralyzed by folks who refuse to seek out "new (from the book - "Who Moved My Cheese") cheese.
What a horrible memory you were forced to be scarred with. I'm amazed how harsh we Christians can be with each other in the name of "being right."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?