Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Return To Flight

I’ve lived on the "Space Coast" for almost forty years. So the space program occupies a special place in my heart. I remember being in Boy Scouts and going out to the Space Center for once of the Apollo liftoffs. My Dad was the First Sargent of the local National Guard unit and he was able to procure one of the transport trucks to take our troop out to the Cape for the launch.
Tomorrow is the third "return to flight" launches that I have experienced here on the Space Coast. The first was after the Apollo One accident in the early 1960’s in which three astronauts burned up inside their command module during a pre-flight test.
The second was after the Challenger accident and the third will be tomorrow, two years following Columbia being incinerated as it re-entered Earth’s atmosphere. We have many people at our church that work on the Space Shuttle. For them tomorrow will be an emotional moment as well as a technical challenge. I covet your prayers for the brave men and women that will be aboard Discovery as America returns to space. God-speed Discovery.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?