Monday, July 11, 2005

Proud of My Boy

My son is a fifteen-year-old teenager and today I’m proud of him. I love him every minute of every day and most days I’m proud of him (I’m sure he could make the same statement about me and insert the number 46.) but he is a typical 15-year-old.
Steven has been playing 18 and Under AAU Baseball with his high school team this summer when we haven’t been at Bible Camp or the OVC Work-camp. He is one of 20 kids on the team as well as being one of the youngest. For most of the summer, he has been coming in for 2 to 3 innings and playing third base. This past Friday he started and played the entire game going 1 for 3 at the plate and contributing several put outs from third base.
Steven’s next game was yesterday, a Sunday. Initially Barbara and I told him he couldn’t play. In a display of maturity (in the way he presented "his case") Steven asked us to reconsider saying that the coaches were finally starting to notice him. In a rare decision for our family, we allowed Steven to play in the game and miss church. He ended up starting again and playing the whole game going 1 for 3 again with a RBI.
Although we’re proud of Steven’s accomplishments on the ball field, this isn’t the reason why I’m blogging about Steven today.
Steven beat us home from lunch after church. When we arrived home we discovered Steven had cleaned our home. I know, any 15 year old allowed to skip church to play baseball might react the same way. And once again, this isn’t why I’m proud of Steven.
We had to have Steven at our church building at 5:30 that day. Our youth minister (Chad) took our youth group to the North Brevard Church of Christ to support a fellow youth minister and his fledgling youth group. Chad told us that our youth group made up half of the church’s attendance that night. On the way home our 15-year-old son called us to ask if every boy in the youth group (ended up with 8 that night) could spend the night at our home.
Above all of his baseball accomplishments I was most proud of my son for taking a leadership role in his youth group. He wanted to include every boy on the bus that night and yes, they had a lot of fun at our home. But they also took the time to hold a devotional with each other. So forgive me if I take the time to glow in this moment. I just pray that the Lord will allow moments like these to encourage Steven to be an encourager to a group of special boys.

Comments:
Thanks Bro. One of my favorite moments from last summer was when Steven got to play for Josh in the summer league he was coaching. To have Josh be Steven's coach for that brief moment in time meant a lot to me and Steven. Love you guys.
 
Thanks Randy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?